Chapter Four | Betty |

My feet stepped through the cluttered hall and walked downstairs where mom was putting old ornaments into a box surrounded by plenty of brown boxes

"You do know I'm leaving for college in September, right?" She had taken the day off to reorganize the entire house since I was leaving for the summer with Elías the following day. "It's a bit too early for you to throw my things out and turn my room into a gym."

She looked up with a small coppery angel in her hands. "I was thinking a yoga studio would be better."

My mom was a divorcee turned single mom, fitness enthusiast dentist. She did it all and never asked for any help. She was up at the crack of dawn and went out for a forty-five minute run around the neighbourhood, then she would come home and make breakfast for us. Despite her love for all things healthy, she wasn't one of those moms who forced their daughters to only eat styrofoam-like rice cakes with just the tiniest bit of peanut butter.

"Sorry, Betty," Mom said, setting down the ornament. "I didn't realize I was encroaching on your space. I'll leave your room alone for now."

I smiled, grateful for the concession. "Thanks, Mom. I just want to keep it as my own little sanctuary for a while longer."

She nodded, understanding. "Of course, honey. Your room, your rules."

"I don't mind sleeping in your yoga studio as long as I get to keep my bed, you know?" I smiled at her.

As I watched her continue packing, I couldn't help but feel a pang of guilt. Mom had sacrificed so much for me, especially after Dad left. She worked long hours to provide me with the same lifestyle I had my entire existence. She never complained. Yet, here I was, preparing to leave for a summer with Elías, leaving her behind.

"Are you sure you're okay with me going away for the summer?" I asked tentatively.

Mom paused, placing a hand on my shoulder. "Betty, you're not a little girl anymore. You have to live your life and I know Arturo and his mother will take care of you. Don't worry about me-I'll be fine."

I hugged her tightly, feeling a mix of emotions. Gratitude for her understanding, excitement for the trip ahead, and a twinge of sadness at the thought of leaving her behind in our big house all alone.

"You'll make the most of this summer together with Elías, and when you come back, we'll have plenty of stories to share," Mom said, the tone in her voice edged by warmth and encouragement.

The bell rang, announcing my boyfriend's arrival and after kissing mom goodbye, she put on a slightly more serious face but still marred by humor.

"Tell Elías that if he keeps coming into my house through the window I'm gonna unscrew the wall trellis and you're gonna have to drive his ass to the hospital."

She picked up a box and started marching into the kitchen, leaving me with my burst of laughter as a companion.

I hollered back, "I'll make sure to pass along the message, mom."