Final Day (Pt. 3/3)

"Okay, okay. I'll do it. If I want to live, this is what I'll have to do, right?" Her father nodded, "Yes, exactly. You're a very smart girl, and you're our only chance at surviving this nightmare. Now come on, let's get some rest. I know we didn't have dinner tonight, but I'll cook us something tomorrow. Promise." Souris let out an anxious sigh, "Yes, dad... Goodnight." She reluctantly crawled over to her own bed, laying down and wrapping the blanket around herself. As her head rested on the cold, soft pillow, she closed her eyes and rolled over, facing away from her sister and father. Her restless eyes ached, and her mouth felt dry from all of the words she couldn't say.

The thought of possibly not waking up the next day plagued her mind as she tried to sleep. The sounds of her father and sister getting ready to sleep as well had made her even more worried, what if she messes up and causes the death of her family? These dreadful thoughts eventually lead to Souris falling asleep, an anxious feeling in her heart. While she slept, she dreamt of something strange. To her, it was a sort of vision. In her dream, she was in the basement. With no other light except for a flashlight in her right hand. A strange sound came from nearby, and she decided to investigate. Although, she'd soon realize that was a mistake when she pointed her light towards the source of the sound and saw something unexplainable. A yellow-ish green blob in the corner of her basement, spitting out bits of a strange liquid. She quickly noted that the sound she heard was the sound of the strange thing spitting out this liquid. It had arm-like structures protruding from holes in its body that were attached to any surface it could get to. The strange thing seemed to be fairly bigger than her, even from afar.

Having not much of a choice, she went to investigate. In a way, Souris had been reminded of a wasp's nest when she looked at the strange thing. When she was only 5 feet away, she was suddenly attacked by the thing. It let out a low gurgling noise before suddenly spitting a different kind of liquid at her. It was thick and green, and when it made contact with Souris' skin it began to burn and melt her skin. She let out a scream before the thing spat at her again, the acidic liquid only hitting her in the face this time.

Souris had then woken up in a cold sweat, breathing heavily. She immediately sat up right and looked around. Letting out a small sigh of relief once she realized the dream she had just experienced wasn't real, she decided to get up and walk around the house. She slowly stood up from the bed, carefully maneuvering her way over to the small bathroom. She opened the door and turned on the lights, shutting her eyes for a moment due to the brightness of the lightbulbs. She softly groaned, rubbing her eyes before grabbing her toothbrush and a tube of toothpaste before beginning to tiredly brush her teeth. She stared at herself in the mirror, taking a mental note of how much of a mess she looked like. Un-brushed and long black hair, tired brown eyes, a slightly oversized t-shirt she got from her sister and white shorts. Her left wrist had bandages wrapped around it because she had developed issues due to being on her laptop so much.

Souris was then reminded of the pollen virus outbreak. Her heart sunk in despair, foamy toothpaste dripping from her mouth and splatting in the white ceramic sink. Regardless, she kept brushing and thinking about the current pandemic. She knew that if her and her family were going to survive, they needed to work together. In order to properly work together, they needed to be happy and comfortable with each other enough to share ideas. Of course, that was seemingly easy considering they were a family, but isolation can drive anyone to their limits. Even if they're stuck with other people, many people can get sick of interacting with the same thing for so long.

Before she could think further, Souris heard a strange sound that made her stop brushing her teeth for a moment. It sounded like a cat scratching at the door, wanting to be let in. The problem was that neither Souris or her family owned any pets, Samson was allergic. Souris found this to be quite odd until the noise came back for a second time, sounding a bit more demanding. She realized that it was coming from the backdoor of the house. What could possibly be scratching at the backdoor at 2:45AM? She felt a bit confused, but decided to spit out the foamy toothpaste into the sink and investigate the noise. She walked out of the bathroom, turned to the left and made her way towards the backdoor. Somehow, she didn't feel like this was the right option. She felt as if something was terribly off, and she needed to abort whatever plan she had right away.

Unfortunately, instead of listening to her gut, she persevered. Soon enough, her hand was on the doorknob, and the noise was as loud as ever. Souris had her hand tightly wrapped around the doorknob, but her other hand reached up to pull away the curtain from the door's window. She tilted her head to the side, her left eye peeking through the window. What she saw had made her heart stop beating out of pure fear, as a figure of a lady was outside, scratching at the door. The woman was groaning and grunting, frequently spitting out a black liquid. Souris let out a loud gasp, which alerted the mysterious lady to make direct eye contact with Souris. The woman suddenly turned frantic and aggressive, screaming and banging on the door. The black liquid was splatting everywhere, even dripping down the window.

Souris couldn't contain her fear as she stepped back, letting out a horrified scream. The woman slammed her fists into the door so hard that her knuckles began to bleed, the bones in her fingers slightly protruding from the skin. Souris began to sob with a horrified look in her eyes before the woman let out another scream, punching a hole through the window and desperately reaching inside. Her hand quickly made its way over to the doorknob, which she twisted vigorously until the door opened. Souris screamed once more as she backed away, she seemed to be even more scared than she could possibly ever be. The woman gurgled before leaping towards Souris. She was moments away from getting her hands on Souris before her father rushed in and whacked the woman over the head with a baseball bat several times.

Whack, splat.

Whack, splat.

Whack, splat.

     Souris' father hit the woman one more time before the woman collapsed onto the floor, dead and bleeding out. Souris was frozen in place, her shoulders tense and her hands trembling. After breathing heavily for a moment, her father immediately closed the door and locked it, looking back to Souris. In a tired and hoarse voice, he asked her, "Are you alright, dear?" Souris couldn't gather the courage to speak, so she just nodded. Her father sighed, tossing the baseball bat aside as he bent down to Souris' level, looking her deep in the eyes. "I strongly suggest you go clean yourself up nice and good, yes?" Souris nodded again, turning around and running back into the bathroom. She closed the door behind her and locked it before looking at herself in the mirror. What she saw was a wide awake and bright – but certainly not happy – girl staring right back at her. Souris looked like she hadn't slept in weeks, but this time out of fear.