Chapter 15: Consequences

I blinked, and suddenly we were in a living room. Frisk's, I assume.

"Here, set her on the couch. It'll be fine for a little bit, Mom and Dad won't be back for a few hours, at the least." Frisk says, gesturing to the couch. When she said Mom and Dad, I knew she meant Asgore and Toriel. They used to be royalty, but there wasn't much of a need for royalty after the monsters came to the surface, so they stepped down.

They would probably be overjoyed to see Chara, but I don't know if she herself is ready for that meeting. Besides, even if I bought time, we were still in a bit of a crisis.

I set Chara down on the couch gently as I heard her softly snore. She's probably going to be out like a light for a while.

"so, kid, how much do you know about the RESETs?" Sans asks, as we all find seats. I sat on the floor in front of the couch Chara was on, not wanting to go far from her.

"Just what Chara told me, that the Determination SOUL trait allows one to control time, to a small degree." I respond.

"Is that all she told you?" Frisk asks, getting a bit nervous. I knew what she was getting at. She wanted to know if I knew what she did.

"No. She told me what you did. Is this why you wanted to talk to me? To tell me not to be like you? Well, I'm not going to do what you did. I'm not going to RESET again and again to toy with my friends' lives. I'm not going to kill everyone I know and love. I understand that actions have consequences. " I state, venom in my voice as I glared directly at Frisk.

What she did was unforgivable. The hell she put Chara through was inexcusable. I didn't have a chance to be angry in the last RESET. I do no-

A hand pats my head softly, cutting off my train of thought.

"Don't be mad at her... anger won't solve anything..." I hear Chara sleepily mumble from behind me. I turn to look at her. Chara gave a soft smile as she looked at me with her pretty red eyes halfway closed. I let out a sigh. She was right, of course, and now I feel like a jerk for snapping at Frisk.

"Sorry." I apologize, looking back to Frisk with a softer expression. She wiped away a stray tear and maintained a straight face. "It's fine. I completely understand why you are upset with me. And yes, that is why Sans and I wanted to talk to you." Frisk responds.

"we had to be sure. none of us want to go back. we needed to know that you understood that the RESET wasn't a get out of jail free card." Sans explains. The entire time we were talking, his eyes had been flashing blue and yellow. I didn't notice until now, but he was judging me. Seeing if I was lying.

"it's starting to get dark out. we really shouldn't keep you long, I'll take a shortcut to get you two home." Sans continues, standing up.

Chara sat up slowly as I stood. "Why did you do it, Frisk?" I ask, wanting to know why she abused the RESETs. Chara said she seemed dissatisfied by something everything she got to the surface, except for the last time.

Frisk takes a deep breath before answering.

"It was for you, (Y/n). The first time I got to the surface, I was so excited that I freed everyone that I forgot about you, and when I checked your house, someone else was living there. It was like you never existed. The first time, it was on impulse. I couldnt live in a world without you, my best friend. Then, it was intentional. After a few dozen pacifist runs, I began to think, 'well, what if I try something different? I can just reset if it doesn't work out'. And that's when I started to kill." Frisk explains, her poker face breaking a bit.

That's not at all what I was expecting. I don't know what I was expecting, but that wasn't it. I think I understand why now.

Back then, things weren't so great. Frisk was my only friend, and I was her only friend, and the world wasn't incredibly kind to her. She was also much younger, so I guess I can't particularly fault her for thinking that there would be no harm.

I don't know what to feel about the situation anymore. I still want to be angry, despite what Chara said, but I understand that Frisk was probably scared to face the world without any friends. I guess I'll settle on not being angry with her. Anger takes too much work anyway. Besides, she now knows better.

"Thank you for telling me why. I'll make sure to be at that party you mentioned." I respond, giving Frisk a small reassuring smile to cheer her up a bit. She manages to smile back.

"alright, let's get you two home." Sans says. His expression seemed darker than his usual cheery grin. I imagine I wasn't the only one to learn something from this conversation. Sans didn't seem to hold the usual animosity towards Chara that he had in the last few interactions we've all had together, so I guess that was good.

Chara floated gently off of the couch and up next to me as Sans offered his hand. I took his hand as Chara leaned her head on my shoulder, and within a blink I was in my room. "Thanks, Sans." I thank the skeleton, only to realize he was already gone by the time I turned to look at him.

I imagine him and Frisk would have a bit to talk about, because it didn't sound like she told him what she told me before then.

Chara began to drag me over to my bed. "Come on, I've got years of sleep to catch up on, and I'm not leaving you to sleep on the floor or something." Chara says as she pulled me.

I thought about protesting, but truth be told I was beginning to get too tired to do so, so I just climbed into bed as Chara floated in. She reached around and hugged me, pulling me close.

"Goodnight, (Y/n)."

"Goodnight, Chara."

*

(I know I said I'd write deltarune chapters next, but I wanted to continue this one a bit more. If you have any questions, please ask 'cause I feel like I may have been a little bit confusing in this chapter. Hope you enjoy, and feedback is always welcome!)

(P.s thanks for the 1k reads, and all the votes!)