Chapter 5

I stopped hoping after a week. No Evadne showed up for that duration. I have never seen the girl I mistakenly thought to be her ever since that day.

Maybe she really did switch to a different section. Heck, she may have even transferred to another school. And I'm now too tired and embarrassed to find out where she could possibly be.

Tama na ang pagiging desperate, Freya. This is not so you.

Napapabuntong-hiningang lumabas ako nang sasakyan when the car stopped just in front of the school. Kuya Tony gave me a worried look but didn't ask, he just gave me a smile and I tried returning the same one but even I myself have felt how lathargic it was.

I waited for the car to drive away bago ako gumalaw - only to remain frozen when I saw her again. It's the girl I mistakenly thought to be Evadne. She looked incredibly the same, it's like her time stopped to look exactly the same - her laid back appearance yet defensive stance left an impression on me, now I couldn't help but notice it apart from her messy hair, pale skin, and dull eyes.

Her eyes darted toward me for a moment but for that split second, I felt how my heart skipped. She averted her gaze to her front, walking to the school gate like she didn't see me, like I am just another ordinary student. Nakaramdam ako ng inis at naglakad na rin, it even felt like I was the one following her.

Huminga ako nang malalim. I tried to collect myself, gaining composure. Try to be rational, Freya. She's not Evadne, she's not worth your time and frustration.

As if the pep talk was enough, I picked up my pace and walked faster. Hindi rin nagtagal ay nauna akong maglakad, sa bagal ba naman niya. Stealing a glance at her, I scoffed and shook my head. Para akong tanga.

I tried my best not to look back, to the point that I started greeting back all the students who tried to approach me. It's normal, I'm the Student Council President and I'm popular among the student body - of course it's perfectly okay to be extra nice to them. I'm not exactly doing it to distract myself. It's part of the job. It's just how it is to me.

Dumiretso ako sa Student Council Room to fetch some documents, if there are any. When I opened the door ay bumungad sa akin ang ilang miyembro ng SC but there's no Elsa in the crowd. "Good morning. Is Elsa not here yet?"

"Good morning, Pres." One of them greeted, sunud-sunod silang bumati pagkatapos. "She was here a few minutes ago but umalis din kaagad dahil may class na."

"Kayo ba ay wala?" I went to my table and grabbed some things. There's not much naman pala.

"Aalis na rin kami."

"Okay. Make sure to check if everything is in place and don't forget to lock the door if walang maiiwan, alright?"

"Yes, Ma'am." Pabirong sagot ng isa na ikinailing ko na lang.

"See you around." I closed the door with a chuckle.

I checked my watch, I still have plenty of time. Maaga naman din kasi talaga akong pumasok ever since. I just like to have some time before the start of class. But I might as well go to my room, I still have some files to check. Wala pa rin naman sina Asami. Asahan nang at this time ay mga tinatamad na kaaagad sila um-attend ng klase, especially right now na wala na halos aajor subjects and we will mostly be focusing primarily on our thesis, and later on, OJT.

Pagpasok ko sa loob ng classroom ay kaagad kong napansin na may isang estudyante sa likod. There are no other students yet but me and her. Kahit hindi ko makita ang mukha niya dahil nakayuko siya at mukhang natutulog - I won't fail to recognize her. I once again felt my heart thumping. Para akong pinagt-trip-an ng pagkakataon, why do I always see this person?