xix.. Landslide

─── ・ 。゚☆: *

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

The letter in Florence's pocket had been burning a hole into her side for a few days now.

Last weekend she and her friends all spent Halloween at Hogsmeade, laughing over their butterbeer and dressed up in casual costumes. Florence and Amelia had dressed up in the styles of Velma and Daphne from Scooby-doo.

No one had really gone 'all out' this year, and not one of the four houses had the spirit to host the typical Halloween after-party. The events of the last month made it hard for anyone to feel particularly festive. Most were hoping the gloom and nervous energy surrounding the castle would dissipate by Christmas.

While in the small village, Florence made sure to check the post office for mail since she'd expected her mum to write back. She'd begun to regret that decision though- The entire week she couldn't bring herself to open the letter out of pure apprehension for its contents.

Pulling the letter out as she sits down at her desk in her dorm, Florence traces the angry scribble of her name across the pale envelope. She knew her mum, and she'd learned how to tell when she was upset.

This was one of the few times Florence was grateful her mum knew nothing about magic because she was sure that if she did, she would've received a howler from Marjorie.

Marjorie was left-handed, something Florence found to make her mum's handwriting distinct and sharper in some way. She had grown up reading the notes left on the fridge by her mother, telling her when she'd be home and that she had to work late.

It never bothered Florence much, knowing her mum was trying her best to support the both of them on a single salary. As much as they fought, her mum did try to be present, but she couldn't help having to go to work. So, Florence became intimately accustomed to the slants of her mum's F's, the slopes of her L's, the perfectness of her O's, the rigidness of her R's, and the pointed ends of her A's.

_________________________________

𝑀𝒶𝓇𝒿𝑜𝓇𝒾𝑒 𝒪'𝒞𝑜𝓃𝓃𝑜𝓇
𝟣𝟩𝟥𝟥 𝒞𝓁𝑜𝓋𝑒𝓇𝓅𝒶𝓇𝓀 𝑅𝒹
𝒞𝑜𝓊𝓃𝓉𝓎 𝒞𝓁𝒶𝓇𝑒, 𝐼𝓇𝑒𝓁𝒶𝓃𝒹

𝐹𝓁𝑜𝓇𝑒𝓃𝒸𝑒 𝒪'𝒞𝑜𝓃𝓃𝑜𝓇

𝐻𝑜𝑔𝓈𝓂𝑒𝒶𝒹𝑒 𝒫𝑜𝓈𝓉𝒶𝓁 𝒪𝒻𝒻𝒾𝒸𝑒
𝒮𝒸𝑜𝓉𝓁𝒶𝓃𝒹