Chapter 19

"Jam

"Jam."

I was awakened in the middle of the night by unexpected sounds that seemed like someone whispering in my ear. I got up from the bed and looked around me. I could hear no sounds coming from outside, and Barry was fast asleep. Taking a deep breath, I brush my palm on my hand.

"Jam, it's me, Miggy."

I leaped out of my seat as I realized who was speaking. I put the microearpiece in my right ear and put my finger there.

"Miggy?"

I was still in shock at what was happening.

"Yes, it is me."

"Oh my god, bakit ngayon mo lang ginamit 'to?" I whispered.

"Kailangan ko lang humanap ng tamang oras para makipag-usap sayo."

"You can talk to me, Miggy, anytime. Pwede naman akong mag kunwaring kausap lang si Barry."

"You can't do that."

"Why?"

He suddenly fell silent.

"Carter said you bring Ara with you. Is that right?"

"Yes, she's sleeping."

"And Pow?"

"Snoring."

I got up and turned to face the other side of the room. I stare at the sleeping Barry and rub the bridge of my nose gently.

"Why does it seem like we are just having these conversations between us?" I uttered.

"You got it right."

"But why?"

"Because I have assumptions as well, just like yourself."

"What? Miggy, pwede bang deretsahin mo na ako?"

"Like you, I am unable to do so; everything is merely speculation."

"Teka, how did you find out that?"

"Jam, I have keen eyes. That day, I saw how immediately uncomfortable you felt around Carter," he remarked.

"Well, Kung ganun, bakit kailangan nating isekreto sa iba? Si Barry, bakit hindi niya pwedeng malaman? In fact, it was her who came to that conclusion. And Ara, you know she's reliable, and you really feel not confident in your friend Pow?"

"It's not that we don't trust them if we decide to keep things between us. It's only a cautious move to act in accordance with reality. Furthermore, I doubt Carter is the betrayer."

I'm at a loss for words. I'm not sure why, but I simultaneously feel relieved and worried.

"How could you tell?"

"No reason; I just have a different person in mind."

I stopped talking. I just don't know how to respond at this point. There are so many potential betrayals that I'm at a loss for how to handle them all.