Chapter 23

“Jam, I am aware that you believe my father is involved in your deception

“Jam, I am aware that you believe my father is involved in your deception. Miggy told me everything, so I won't be surprised if you believe that I was part of it too. There is a point to each conclusion you draw. However, I swear I will never betray you.”

I averted my gaze to wipe away my tears, then looked back at him. 

"If that's the case, then let me talk to your father," I said, glancing back at Miggy, who was staring at me in the rearview mirror. 

"Okay," he replied. We wasted no time in getting to the location where I could speak with Mr. Heart. We parked the car under the law firm building, and Miggy opened the trunk to give us a white utility uniform.

Pushing a trolley full of cleaning supplies, we quietly assemble at the elevator entrance. Carter went inside his father's office as soon as it opened. 

I gave Miggy a glance and gave him a nod. 

"He's here," Carter exclaimed, and he was grasping the handle when Miggy drew him away. I took advantage of the opportunity to unlock the door and lock it inside. 

Carter banged on the door and yelled at me many times, but I ignored him and turned to face the man who was curled up in his chair, without even acknowledging that I was in there. 

“Let my son enter the room,” he said, still continuing whatever he was doing. 

“You seem not shocked that I came here,” I said. 

“I was not,” he replied, closing the folder in front of him and placing it in the other folders on the desk. 

“I'm not surprised,” I added. 

“Neither do I.” 

My teeth are grinding in anger at his replies, and I can't help but run towards his desk, grab his coat, and pull him closer to my face. 

“Tell me, were you the one who framed me up?!” I asked, almost yelling. 

Mr. Heart removed my grip from his coat and even fixed it. My first formed even more, and I was on the verge of my control. Tears were even emerging from my eyes, and I wiped them away aggressively. 

“I am not,” he simply replied, which pulled the trigger in my head. I slammed his desk violently while shouting, “Liar!”

Mr. Heart didn't give me any emotion and instead looked at me directly. 

“Sinungaling ka! I heard you! I heard you when you visited me at the hospital! I heard everything you said, and I remember it all! You're a liar!” I screamed, but he just looked away from me to remove his eyeglasses.

When I heard nothing from him, my lips twitched. My heart was pounding at that very moment, and all I needed was his acknowledgement that he had set me up so I could let go of my resentment. 

“Isabella, you are not on the right track. This is not where you should go first. It was not me who set you up.”

“Bullshit! Do you believe I'm a fool? Yes, I may lose this war a lot, but those losses will teach me something. I am learning!”

“I can tell that, but hija, you got it wrong again this time.” He stood up and put his two hands in his pockets. 

“Kung totoong hindi ikaw ang mastermind, then why did you not volunteer to assist me? Carter informed me that he is unable to locate a lawyer to represent me in court. How come his father, who was actually saving a lot earlier, wouldn't take my case? 

I find it annoying that he responded, "I have a reason." 

"Why? Because I was the target of all the evidence? F*ck! I was in the same predicament as Lenard's people. They were identified as possible suspects. If you could aid them even though the evidence—blood, fingerprints, and everything else—was falsified, then why can't I?”

“Because it's you.” 

I was stunned.

“And what does that mean?” 

I gulped when he walked closer. 

“Isabella, you said you heard me that day at the hospital, right? What did I tell you?” 

I closed my fist and looked at him bravely. 

“What a poor woman,” he said, mimicking his remarks from that day in the hospital. My hand trembled and I became enraged, but I just tightened it until my blood dripped.

"Jam!” Carter yelled when he eventually opened the door.

He looks over my entire body while I look at him. 

"Were you hurt?” I shake my head.

"Let's go," he muttered, dragging me out of the room. 

I turned to face Mr. Heart one last time, letting him know how hurt I was by what he said.  

“What the hell was that, Jam? Akala ko ba sama tayo? Why do you have to talk to him alone?” he retorted while we're inside the car. 

“I want to talk to him alone,” I replied.

“You still do that with me.”

“Why is it such a big deal to you, Carter? Are you scared that I might harm your father?!” I screamed in annoyance, and he stopped. 

"No, no, Jam, that's not what I meant," he replied. His voice became more soothing, but I scowled at him and averted my gaze. 

As the silence enveloped the car, I made the decision to stare out the window while giving Mr. Heart's words a lot of thought. 

***

“Where's Ara?” I asked when the car stopped.

“She's here,” Pow replied, pointing at the large wearhouse in front of us. 

“What?” You left her here alone? Paano kung bumalik ‘yong mga sumugod sa inyo?” 

“Lenard's with her,” Carter replied to me. 

“H-he’s here?” I said, then shot off in the direction of the wearhouse. But it exploded when I was about halfway to the door. 

We hit the grass with the impact. I know they weren't unconscious, because I wasn't. However, we all held our heads with the effect on our eardrums from the blast. I was unable to completely open my eyes due to my spinning head. But one thing is certain, even if everything was hazy: I saw a man's shadow appear in front of me. 

I made an effort to talk and open my eyes, but until he was gone, my senses failed me. 

It was Carter who came up to me first. I couldn't hear him because of the noise my ears were producing, but I assumed he was asking how I was doing. blocking my path to what he was saying. 

Carter helped me stand up, and Miggy did the same thing to Pow. We scurried back into the vehicle and took off. My heart broke when I turned to look behind me and saw the flaming wearhouse.  

“Si Ara?” I said. Carter gives me a look and opens his mouth, but I can't hear him at all. Abruptly, Miggy handed me his phone and displayed a text message from Lenard. claiming to be at the cruise port waiting for us. He claimed that they were able to escape the man, who later returned and tried to harm Ara once again. 

I took a seat back, closed my eyes, and waited for my hearing to return. Luckily, my senses were restored when we reached the cruise port.

"Put these on," Carter said, passing me a brown paper package. When I looked at myself, I noticed that I was still wearing the police uniform.

“Thank you,” I replied, giving him a small smile. 

Like Pow and Miggy do, I waited for him to get out of the car so I could change, but all he did was keep staring at me. 

“Ah, can you get out?” I asked politely. 

“Why?” I frown at him.

“Magpapalit nga ako,” I exclaimed.

“Hindi nalang ako titingin.” I rolled my eyes and took a deep breath.

“Carter, lumabas kana at magbibihis ako,” I repeatedly. 

Carter looked at me, sighing. 

“I'm beginning to get nervous every time I go somewhere; something always seems to happen in an instant. And the idea that you might not get as lucky as you did the last time concerns me. I was also terrified that my father might really be the mastermind. But I know how brave you are, so I really apologize if I have been acting inappropriately lately; I just can't get rid of the fear that he would harm you. I want to stick by your side because of these thoughts," he remarked.

I took his hand in mine and felt the warmth it provided. I shut my eyes and even raised them to my cheek. 

“I’ll always survive, Carter. Especially since I know that you were waiting for me each time I had to play along with life. So, don't be worried. I'll make it as long as you're waiting here," I said and I saw how his jaw tensed.

His eyes screamed the words I knew he had wanted to tell me even before. I then put my palm on his cheek, touched it lightly, and smiled at him with all of my sincerity and love. With that, we both made our way to each other's lips.