Chapter 20

“Nagkaruon ng explosion sa visiting area? Iyon, ‘yong ingay na narinig ko?” Barry exclaimed

“Nagkaruon ng explosion sa visiting area? Iyon, ‘yong ingay na narinig ko?” Barry exclaimed. I widened my eyes to give her a warning. 

“Huwag ka ngang maingay,” I said. She touched her forehead in disbelief and looked at Ate Marissa instead.

“Ate, diba may mga tauhan kang pulis dito?” she asked her. I looked at her in confusion.  

“Barry, ano nanaman ‘yan?” I asked but she just placed her hand in front of me, like she was stopping me. 

"I was just thinking that maybe we could ask those cops to look into who put that explosive thing inside." 

"I'm sure they're working on it already,” I said. 

“Tama si, Jam, hija. Dahil sa loob mismo nangyari, paniguradong iniimbistigahan na nila iyan.”

"Then I asked them to tell us who did it. We might be able to find something with that, right?” Barry remarked. Since I had been thinking along the same thing last night, I gave her a nod. 

“Susubukan ko," Ate Marissa said.

We continued eating. However, just as I was going to put the food spoon in my mouth, Shin pulled my hair.

Barry quickly sprang up to help me, but three of Shin's goons grabbed her, along with Ate Marrisa. To my surprise, one of them picked up the aluminum plate and slammed it against Barry's head, which she instantly passed out.  

I looked around to see if any police officers were present while I was attempting to take Shin's hand out from my hair, but I was incensed to see Carlo had locked the door. He even gave me a smile before turning to leave us inside.

“Bullsh*t Shin! Ano nanamang problema mo!” I yelled. But she just lifted my face while she's still placed behind me. 

“Problema ko? Naku, wala. Pero sa nag-utos sa akin na gawin ‘to, meron.” 

She slammed me in the direction of the food table after saying that. A pot of porridge spilled upon my left arm, and I cried out in pain. 

Shin looks at my dissolution and laughs loudly. The burning sensation on my skin is becoming apparent. In an attempt to reduce the discomfort, I bit my lips tightly and breathed quickly. 

I carefully got to my feet, clearing my throat and flashing Shin the most obnoxious smile I could muster while they were still savoring the moment. Suddenly, the happy plaster on her face disappeared.

“Anong tinatawa-tawa mo d’yan?” she asked, annoyed. I laughed even more while shaking my head.

“Seriously, Shin? You injured me on purpose, so you have the courage to fight against me? Ganyan ka ka-duwag?” 

Her eyes changed to hostile ones right away, and I could feel her jaw tighten in rage. 

"Hold her," she commanded, and two of her goons moved toward me in an attempt to seize both of my arms. I, however, forbade them. I punch hard at the one on the left and kick the one on the left. The two eventually fell to the ground, moaning with anguish. Making Shin appear so agitated, and the next thing I know, they're all attacking me.

I made every effort to fight them all with kicks and punches with my right arm, but there were just too many. So I tried to escape from them by kicking the table and running to the others. 

In an attempt to get to the exit door, I keep running to the table. However, before I could get there, I was yanked down by someone who grabbed my leg. When it strikes the hard floor, my head spins. 

"Pin her!” Shin yelled. Many of them press me to the ground as I'm still trying to get used to the dizziness, grabbing my arms and legs. Shin comes over and punches me in the stomach.

“Ang tagal kong nagtitimpi sa’yong babae ka, putang*na mo!” Shin remarked as she kept hitting me, even striking me in the face this time. 

My nose and lips are bleeding, and I want to throw up at any moment. But she was so angry that, she didn't seem to care if she killed me here. 

Gathering my remaining strength, I open my mouth to speak.

“Bullsh*t!”I shouted. 

Shin pauses and gives me an incredulous look. I spit the blood on the ground and gave her a nasty smile before turning to face her again. 

"I can taste your wrath, and you know what? It tastes so bitter, Shin." She gave me menacing glares and tightened her jaw several times. 

However, that didn't keep me from speaking. 

“You know what? I was afraid of you at first, but after learning about your situation, I saw how similar we are. 

"We are not the same!”

“Of course, because I won't ever take my anger out this way. I won't hurt someone who hasn't done me any harm! That's why I feel sorry for you! You became guilty because of your mindset. And it makes you the person they told you to be. Without this diabolical face of yours, you are weak and fragile.” 

Her first one landed on my face, but it made my lips curves even more.

“Sige lang, Shin. Hurt me, kill me, and be the woman you loathed to be a year ago.” 

Abruptly, I saw the way the tears welled up inside her eyes. She put her hand over my shirt and brought our faces closer.

“Wala kang alam sa mga pinagdaanan ko,” she whispered angrily.

“You’re right, wala akong alam at lahat ng mga tao rito wala alam, diba? They had no idea how much suffering you went through every night, believing that this was not the life you were supposed to have. But in the end, this is how things work out. I may not be aware of the extent of the pain or the level of tutoring you received, but I am aware that you have become weak and have given up on seeking the justice that is rightfully yours. You simply give up and let them step on you.”

“Stop it!” 

“No! Listen to me, Shin. Here, I am not the enemy, Shin. You know who they are. And together, we can establish our innocence. I can see why you quit so quickly, but you can always try again. Get up and try to get your life back. Avoid becoming a meal for this corrupt society. For they will devour you and treat you as though you are not a human being at all!” 

She finally shed a tear, at which point she released me and turned to leave. The person holding me released her grip, and I inhaled deeply, shut my eyes, and forcefully swallowed.

“Open this!” Shin banged on the iron bar door and shouted out in annoyance. The officers race over to her and swing open the gate. 

When two of the officers picked me up off the ground and carried me inside the dimly lit cell, I let out a painful groan. I started crying as I peered into the darkness after being left inside. Shin has my advice to regain her bravery and stand up again when I am the one losing my courage at the moment.

Like her, I want to give up because I'm so exhausted. This is really exhausting. Every day, my vitality is embodied in my body. Realizations and revelations—all of it is simply so exhausting. I'm so damn tired! 

I cry as soon as I close my eyes. My sobs filled the room as I let out an exaggerated cry. I complained in the dark, empty room until I finally fell asleep. Upon awakening, I heard a prominent voice talking in my ear.

“Jam,” It was Miggy. 

I force myself to sit down and lean my back against the wall. 

“What?” 

“Carter came here; he has a plan.” 

“Did you tell him about this?”

“No,no. He left.” 

“Okay, it's better to keep it between us for now, like you said.”

“I know,” he replied. 

“What about Carter's plan?” 

He cleared his throat.

“He came here this morning. He told me about the incident at the visiting area. He was able to pay one of the officers to give information regarding that.”

“And what did he find?”

“It’s Nitrocellulose. A mixture of nitric esters of cellulose and a highly flammable compound that is the main ingredient of modern gunpowder and is also employed in certain lacquers and paints.” 

“So it's a handmade bomb.”

“Yes.” 

“But how did you find out about that?” 

“Your earpiece actually has a tracker. I can even tell now that you're inside the dark jail.” 

I signed deeply.

“I can identify the danger around you, but only the explosive one.” 

“Is that the reason why you sent me that landscape?”

“Exactly.”

“You think I can do it?”

“Of course. This might be tricky, but at least I can help you out.” 

“Fine, Ihahanda ko ang plano.”

“Good. Anyway, we still didn't know where Jilbert is but Carter was able to search for CCTV footage around the area.” 

“What did you find?” 

“The man with the butterfly tattoo entered that apartment at 6 a.m. in the morning. It was two hours before Ara came to the building. When she left, that man went out with large luggage and drove off.” 

“That man was still alive?” 

“Apparently, Yes.” 

I massage my temple and take a deep breath. 

“Wait, if he killed Jilbert, ibig sabihin nanduon pa siya nung makarating si Ara sa apartment?” 

“Possible,” he replied. I gasped in nervousness.

“Then Ara is in danger!” 

“Don't worry, we won't let her go outside.” 

“Okay, please take care of her.”

“We will.” 

I blow some air to release the terrifying feeling inside of me. 

“Anyway, I handed Carter the identical earbud. He was going to find that man, and it's probably best for us to be connected to him. He and Pow are now out. I'll allow you to hear his line; just pay attention, please." 

“Why? That is extremely risky!”  

“It is, but Jam, I'm sure you know him very well. When it comes to you, he is unstoppable.” I sighed deeply. 

I'm starting to feel guilty and anxious, and I can't help but think back to our last conversation. 

“He's connected now, Jam.” 

“Thank you,” I replied.

“Carter,” Miggy said. 

“We're now here at the LaCasa hotel. This is where the CCTV footage showed that butterfly man with the luggage.” 

“LaCasa Hotel?” Miggy asked, and I can tell that he was now tapping his fingernails on the keyboard. He's probably looking for that place.

“Bingo! That the hotel Jilbert checked in two days before he died.”

“I see, I'm at the reception hall now.” 

“How can I help?” 

"Pow, and I can handle it. We're going to enter the elevator. Can you help us figure out what room number it is?” 

“Working on it,” Miggy replied. A minute later, he came back with the room number he was able to find, probably after hacking the hotel system. 

“His room is on 734.” 

“Got it!” 

There was silence, and I believe Carter made it into the structure. I inhaled deeply, attempting to push past my anxiety as I waited for his update. 

Finally, not long after, Pow talked. 

“There's a passcode.”

“Is it a screen or a keypad?” 

“Touch screen,” Pow replied to Miggy. 

“Try to scan the fingerprint. Use the flashlight from your phone.”

“I'll do it,” Carter said. 

“It's 2, 4, 8, and 0.” 

“If you don't figure out the password after just one attempt, the reception desk will receive a warning.”; 

“F*ck! We have one left. We've tried 2480 and 2804.” Pow said in frustration. 

“Can you find something that might help us now, Miggy?”

“Currently looking,” Miggy replied.

I heard the beeping sounds, and I know he muted himself to them so he could talk to me. 

“Anything in mind, Jam?” 

“I have no idea,” I replied, honestly. 

“Come on, try to figure out something.” 

I breathed in and out and started thinking. 

Jilbert's birthday was December 13. These numbers were way too different. I also doubted that he would use his parents' birthday since they were not on good terms. He has no girlfriend, not even a circle of friends. 

An idea shot into my mind, but I'm not that sure. But still, it's better to try than lose our chance to get inside. 

“Try 0428.”

“Got it!” 

Miggy immediately told Pow and Carter the number. 

“It's Jam's birthday?” I heard Carter say. I swallowed hard when tears started flowing from my eyes. I remember Jilbert's last words to me. 

He may be part of this, but the concern in his eyes every time he visits me here is genuine. I know it is, and if only I gave him a chance to tackle everything and sort things out. I might have a chance to deal with this problem with him. 

According to Ara, Jilbert was likely blackmailed. If this is the case, and if this is fairly certain, the only individuals he cared about were the ones he valued.

I should've let him talk to me.