𝐈

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐎𝐓𝐓𝐄

I think that the way to anyone's piece of mind lies in the ability to watch the rain fall around you and let everything you've done in your life fall off your shoulders for a while. There's something in the way it drizzles or it pours that binds with your soul on such a level you can't compute with anything anymore. You become consumed by the feeling of the drops on your skin, slowly soaking into your body like cleansing gold, by the fresh scent of grass growing and water on the pavement, by the sound of it hitting your skull or a glass window or your wall or the roof of a car. It's hypnotic if anything, it has the power to drain your thoughts and to clear your mind and it has the power to drown you in emotion and tears. But it's there with you either way.
I still believe that. The soft drops of heaven will always be my therapy. And I believe that it is partially for that reason that the United Kingdom has always drawn me in. And partially why the University of Edinburgh has always been the university I've wanted to go to. I consider myself the luckiest person in the world to be able to study in Edinburgh having come from a less than financially stable family in a whole other country. I worked my arse off to get here and win all those scholarships.

As dedicated to my studies as I am, I'm not perfect, god knows I'm not perfect. I've undoubtedly texted during class a few times and got distracted by Pinterest while I was studying, for a good hour before getting back to it. So when I was sitting in my usual spot in the library with the history book I was doing my project on at that moment and I got a text from my favourite cousin, you can assume my attention to my project had flown completely out the window.

Favourite Cousin

Matt
Hey, Lottie, up for a pint?

Me
Up for a pint? What do you mean? Are you in town?

Matt asking for a pint made my heart jump out of my chest, if he was in town I would jump at the chance to see him again. He was always so much fun to hang out with and I haven't seen him in a year.

Matt
I'm in town! Not too scholarly to hang out with me now, are you?

Me
Course not! When will you be here?

I felt a grin rise up my face. I'm so fucking excited now, no more studying could possibly get done today.

Matt
I can go out tonight if you want, we could go to a pub

I don't care how tired I am, I'm not missing out on my only chance to see Matt.

Me
It's a plan.

Matt
The nudge?

The fucking nudge? Who the fuck does he think I am.

Me
First of all, you think I have the fucking money for the nudge? Second of all, why so posh?

Matt
Alright alright lol The same place as last time with the nice Fish and Chips I had

Me
Better, that place is do-able

Matt
Great, see ya tonight then, 6?

Me
Six it is