7-14-23

Today at work, a banquet for SOAR (an organization that helps recently graduated underprivileged or minority high school students prepare for college at BYU) was held in the Garden Court which made for a LOT of trash between that and the FSY lunch clean up.

Before the event was over though, an employee of Wallaby's Steakhouse (the restaurant that catered the event) invited me and a couple of coworkers to have some food even though we weren't part of the event, simply because I'd politely and lightly wished him luck in staying cool as the weather was very hot today.

I make connections every reasonable opportunity I get these days, but I try to do it without the expectation of reward. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. The fruits are well worth the effort though when it does.

Insight for the day: NEVER fail to make a connection, even if that connection may not seem to have anything to do with your chosen career or professional path. I'm surprised at the number of students that do NOT make connections like I do. I'll be honest—I like the rewards, but if you're in it for the rewards, then you're making connections for the wrong reasons.

Second insight for the day: Whenever you do make a connection, always reap the rewards where you can. Just make sure your heart is set on the connection, not  the reward.