Chapter 14 - Ben

Something's got Elyse shaken, and I can't figure out what. She's tense and alert as we thread through alleyways. Every time we round a corner, she looks over her shoulder cautiously, watching for something . . . or someone.

Kamal walks a few paces ahead. I'm surprised Elyse doesn't call for him to stay closer.

I'm taking a breath when she says to me quietly, "Are you okay?"

My teeth grit in frustration. I want so badly to tell her, No, I am not okay, because Leola knows the truth about me and I really, really don't want you to find out, and also I'm pretty sure Death came to me and I think he might want my soul.

But I don't say that. I can't say that. So instead, I say truthfully, "I was about to ask you the same thing."

She doesn't respond; just looks ahead and watches Kamal.

The silence between us puckers when I move a few steps closer to her. I glance up at her. "Are you okay?" My voice is hushed. It almost sounds shy.

She shoves her hands into her deep pockets and sighs. "I think Peter recognized me," she says weakly. "But I don't . . . I don't know for sure."

I let her soak in her thoughts for a moment longer before I respond. "Well, I don't know what that would mean for you—I mean, if he did recognize you—but I do know that no matter what happens, you'll be okay. Seems like you always are."

Her eyes drop to the ground and she shakes her head humbly.

I elbow her gently. "Don't deny it! You literally climbed onto the mast mid-flight—not to mention it was during a blizzard." To my pleasure, this brings a small smile to her surface. She lifts a shoulder. I keep going. "I've only known you for, like, a day, and I can already see that you're amazing. You're like a superhero. You are. You're amazing."

Now she laughs. Her cheeks are pink, and I can't tell whether it's because of the cold, or because of me.

"Stop it, Ben," she teases, giving me a playful shove. As I stumble back into place beside her, I let myself laugh, too. It seems Fake Ben has started to become a part of Real Ben . . . or Fake Ben is just slowly disappearing. I can't tell which.

Within seconds the silence returns, draping over the three of us in something more serious.

I realize that this must be about Leola. Without looking at Elyse, I say, "We'll find her."

She nods. "I know we will." With a swallow, she adds, "But it's not just that." Her gaze moves to Kamal.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that's noticed Kamal's sudden change in attitude. I mean, I understand where it's coming from—one of his best friends has disappeared into the depths of Parlem City. That's a good reason to have a bad attitude. But it actually scared me when he came at me. Unlike Leola, he's been kind to me from the start. Now he's just angry.

My mind drifts back to what Leola told me before she left me in that alley.

Elyse would never leave you here.

All the things I want to say remain lodged in my throat, blocking my breath. A long moment passes before one of my questions rips its way out of me.

"You're not going to leave me here, are you?" I ask. My voice is more timid than I'd like it to be.

She frowns and glances at me. "What?"

I blink. "That was the deal. If I'm a nuisance, you leave me here."

"No, I'm not leaving you in this forsaken place," she practically scoffs. She meets my eyes for a long, never-ending moment. "You're not a nuisance, Ben. You kept me from dying out there."