Chapter Eight

| MALIK |

| MALIK |

I saw red.

Crimson blood edged my vision, every instinct urging me to tear into the male in front of me, brother and alpha. To clamp my jaws around his jugular and thrash until his tongue– the same tongue that lapped at my little mate's neck– hung from my jowls.

The male, still in his human form, had the sense to step away from what was mine. She– Aria-- mine– scurried backward, clutching at her throat as if he'd branded her with fire.

A new savage snarl ripped from my chest. My beast's vocal chords weren't similarly ruined beyond repair.

I prowled forward, my paws heavy against the soft dirt of the training grounds, and strategically positioned myself between the alpha and my female. My movements were pure animal, the human parts of my mind hidden beneath the fog of rage.

The male– no, my kin– still did not shift into his own beast. I'd kill him anyway.

Nearby, several lesser wolves snarled and growled warnings at me, but they didn't attack. Not yet. They would wait for his signal. I didn't care. I'd kill him first then happily kill the rest of them. I knew that I could. For her, I would...

A familiar voice streamed into my head, piercing through the savage veil. Brother, what are you doing here? You've abandoned your training duties?

I snapped my jaws at him, inching closer to the ground to prepare to strike. I couldn't think of a sensible response. That part of my mind had gone dormant the moment I felt my little dove's fear spike through our bond.

I'd been overseeing a patrol of young warriors when it happened. A spindling of ice shot straight into my heart, turning the rest of my body cold. I abandoned my post in an instant, but I was too far away. There was too much distance...

I felt her revulsion. Experienced her dread as if it was my own.

And, when I crested the hill, flanks heaving and blood pumping, I saw it. My Aria held against her will in front of a host of Intonat Nocte. My brother's mouth at her neck, latched onto her sensitive skin. Marking her with his scent.

My control snapped.

Roman took the smallest step backward, but his lips pulled back in a wicked smirk.

Malik, he used my name, calling to the man within the monster. You didn't need to come.

Another growl rumbled from the pits of my beast. I stepped closer, and my brother had the sense to look wary.

Behind me, one of his betas shifted, and the sound of ripping fabric filled the clearing. A low, warning snarl rattled from the male's jaws, and I recognized the animalistic sound as belonging to Anders. If I took another step toward our alpha, he'd attack.