Chapter Three - A Mysterious Cat

The ginger she-cat Reed stared at Kani indignantly, but said nothing. Onyx continued to glare at the small gray tomcat. "You two, this is Kani. She lives in the human's dens, and she will be welcomed here. Do you understand?" His tone was stern and correcting, his tail flicking in slight annoyance.
"Fine, Onyx, but you're not the pack leader yet; you're only the deputy-you'll be the one telling Scarlet about this later!" Aspen's ears twitched angrily, a small sneer playing on his lips. Reed raised a catbrow, squinting her eyes.
"How did you come across her? And how do you know she isn't a prey-stealer?" The ginger she-cat seemed less suspicious than curious, as she tilted her head.
Onyx sighed. "I hunted in the yard by her human's den. She saw me, so I introduced myself-and she just brought us food, see?" By now Kani had forgotten that the cranberry cat-biscuit lay at her paws, and she picked it up.
"Does anyone want this, then?" Her sarcastic mew was muffled by the small treat. Aspen snorted and turned around.
"Let's bring her to camp before the loner smells that treat." He mrrowed spitefully. Kani tilted her head, confused. Who was the loner? The cats stirred anxiously.
"You're right," Onyx remarked, and brushed Kani's flank with his tail, gesturing for her to go with them. Kani stood, and the three other cats slowly padded along. It seemed as if they expected for Kani to be left behind if they ran, and her tail flicked with annoyance.
"I may be a housecat, but that doesn't mean that I'm slow!" She exclaimed abruptly. The others turned and stared at her, embarrassment ruffling their pelts. Kani rolled her eyes and nodded to them. "Well then. What are you waiting for? I don't know the way."
That wasn't entirely true; her sharp nose could pick up the scent of many cats nearby. Either way, she didn't want to embarrass them by noting that their location was obvious. As the others began to run, Kani bounded after them, wind ruffling through her fur. She picked up the scent of another cat whose scent was unlike the others'. Her ears pricked toward the origin of the trail, and she sped up with the pack cats.
They approached a camp-like hollow, which was beautifully serene. A small river flowed over the far edge, waterfalling into a small pool of water where a few she-cats chattered and drank. Small dens were hollowed out in the walls of the clearing, the entrances adorned with clinging ivy vines. A few tiny tortoiseshell kittens played with a ball of moss, toppling over their mother. Behind them, a large forest of bushes clung to one of the hollow's walls. Occasionally, cats would enter or emerge from the brushy wooded area. Kani watched as a crimson-pelted she-cat leapt atop a boulder in the center of the clearing, which had a holly-covered opening near the bottom.
"All cats whom are seasoned enough to guide the pack, gather together for counsel," The she-cat's yowl echoed through the hollow, and several cats drew closer. The tortoiseshell she-cat guided her kittens softly toward a small, brushy den. Onyx turned and nodded to Kani, gesturing for her to follow. Together the three cats descended through a small tunnel that led into the pack camp.
Kani watched the cat atop the rock-she assumed this was the one they called Scarlet-sit down, curling her tail over her paws. Reed led them to a small shaded spot in the clearing, and they all lay down, facing the she-cat on the rock.
"A loner has been spotted in the forest, as most of you know. From past encounters, we have learned a bit about her." Scarlet called. "She calls herself Lynx. As for her appearance, look out for a gray and ginger loner. Lynx is dangerous and hostile, therefore we must protect the pack!"
Several cats yowled their agreement, and the she-cats with kits wrapped their tails protectively around their kin. Kani's eyes widened. A dangerous cat? This place was so serene, there couldn't possibly be danger about. Her tail twitched in disbelief.
"Onyx, have you seen this loner before?" Kani inquired, craning her neck to face the tom. Her hopeful feeling of recognition faded slowly as Onyx shook his head, and Kani sighed. She feared being caught by the unknown cat, and stood."Perhaps it is time that I go back. Mark might be waiting for me.." She began to pad away, towards the camp entrance.
"Wait, Kani!" Onyx called. Kani turned back to face him, and she tilted her head. "Will you come back?" He inquired, and she nodded. "Then we must introduce you to Scarlet! She has to give you permission to roam our territory. If we don't, cats might try to chase you out."
Kani felt her pelt burn with embarrassment, surprised that she had not thought about what would happen if she returned. Sheepishly, she followed Onyx towards the crimson she-cat.
She realized that while they were talking, Scarlet had dismissed the pack and leapt off the rock. When they had reached the she-cat, Kani sat on her haunches to wait; Scarlet was conversing with an elderly tomcat. He must be retired, she assumed. As the old tom turned and walked off towards a dimly shaded den, Onyx stepped forward.
Scarlet noticed him and dipped her head in greeting. "Onyx." As she looked at him, her eyes trailed over to Kani. "Wait... Who is this? She smells like a housecat." Scarlet's fur bristled, and her claws unsheathed slightly, but Onyx shot her a look of reassurance.
"This is Kani. She is a housecat, but I give you my word that she isn't stealing prey," he soothed. Scarlet remained silent, but eased her stance ever so slightly. "I would like to ask that you allow her to roam the territory, if she wants to return." He continued.
Scarlet looked Kani up and down, and squinted her eyes slowly. "Very well then. You are welcome to pass through, so long as you do not take our prey." Kani nodded in agreement, and dipped her head respectfully.
"I must return home, but I am truly grateful for your hospitality." She meowed, tail flicking nervously. The sun was low in the sky, and the clouds were fading into creamy pastels. She again nodded to Scarlet and spun on her paws. "See you soon, Onyx!"