3 - Maze 🪨

Your POV

You were shaken awake again by Minho this time.

"Greenie, Y/n, get up." 

You open your eyes to see Minho's face.

"Time?" You sit up and push him a foot away from you.

"4 AM."

"Ugh." You take a while to fold the blanket again and comb your hair with your fingers. You catch Minho admiring you and you pretend to not notice.

"We'll get your gear, then head off. The Maze opens a little while later, so we gotta go soon." Minho leaves the room, and you follow him.

You head to the washroom first, then grab as apple for breakfast.

Minho beckons you to a small room near the back of the Homestead. He fishes a key out of his pocket and unlocks the door with it. The room was not super spacious, and it was dusty. There were some chains, ropes, stuff like that. Minho uses a flashlight to find... a box full of running shoes.

"Here. What's your size?"

"My shoe size?"

"No, your head size. Of course it's your shoe size, shank." Minho rolls his eyes.

You decide not to question him anymore because he seems to have an attitude right now. You check the shoes you were wearing. "Sh/s (your shoe size)."

"Right. Smaller than ours, but it's because you're a girl, I bet." Minho takes a while to find the right shoes. He takes out a clean, new, pair of shoes with dark blue and gray accents. 

You try them on. Minho uses the flashlight to search for something else. The shoes were perfect.

"Do I need to take these off when we're done?" You tuck your old shoes under the shelf where Minho grabbed the box.

"No, keep them." Minho muttered, arms still in the box. He pulls them out after feeling something he wanted to grab.

Minho gives you something he found out of the box. It was a plastic wristwatch. "This is very important, so never take it off. You may be able to tell the time by the sun, but this is more precise."

"Got it." You put it on the wrist of your dominant hand.

Minho picks up a silver material, which looked like underwear, then tossed it back in the box. "You won't be needing those."

"What's it for?" You finish tying your shoes and stand up.

"To keep us boys 'comfy' while running, if ya know." 

"...I see."

"Here, put these gloves on. Protect your hands." Minho gives you a pair of leather gloves, similar to the ones he was wearing. Minho turns away to grab a backpack.

The Keeper hands you the backpack. "There's some stuff in there you'll need, like water bottles and a lunch pack. And some clothes and snacks, too."

"What do I need clothes for?" You peek inside to see a messily folded pair of shorts and a t-shirt.

"Just in case." Minho waits for you to adjusts the straps because they were too big for your shoulders. "You know, most Gladers don't have a chance to try out for a Runner."

"So I'm lucky?"

"Not lucky. Alby just thinks you're skilled enough to be, and so does Newt and Nick. Me too, in a way." Minho walks out of the room. 

You follow him and shut the door, which he locks.

"We gotta go now. It's 5:20." Minho runs out of the Homestead. You notice, in the room nearby, that many people were still asleep.