CHAPTER 24: Woeful Divide

The roaring inferno that engulfed the manor painted a mesmerizing dance of flames against the pitch-black canvas of the night. Daisuke's back was aglow with the fiery hues, his frenzied sprint bringing him in the direction of the housebarn.

He somehow had a feeling the distraction was no longer for the butler, but for the fiend that Reginald had let loose upon humankind.

It was only after exiting through the eastern gate of the courtyard did Daisuke come to a startling realization. While he was busy setting fire to the kitchen, the beast had already located its next prey and abandoned the manor.

His eyes widened in horror as he caught sight of Sheba up ahead, facing off against the fiend. Its claws and snout were stained with the fresh blood of its victims. Sheba stood with her arms extended protectively, April cowering in fear behind her.

Before Daisuke could utter a single word or even form a coherent thought, a sudden eruption of blood filled the air. In that heart-stopping moment, time itself seemed to slow to a crawl. Amidst the crimson torrent, Sheba's presence dimmed, her life force slipping away.

In those fleeting seconds before her light extinguished, her gaze found Daisuke's. Her fragile smile held a bittersweet mix of emotions—a hint of relief, perhaps a subtle declaration that she could finally be free from a stain she had been unable to cleanse. It was a moment suspended in the swirling maelstrom of chaos, etching itself into Daisuke's memory as a poignant farewell.

But the bloodbath wasn't over.

April cried out in anguish, desperately trying to gather the bloody remains of her friend. It was a futile endeavor, and the beast now fixated its gaze on the despairing child.

Before her life could be swiftly snuffed out, light footsteps and a pair of fluffy white ears emerged on the scene. April's eyes widened in shock as a familiar female enveloped her in a protective embrace, using her own body as a shield.

"B-Big Sister Mia!"

M-Mia? Daisuke's eyes widened in surprise. When did she...? Did she follow us here by trailing the Slave Traders?

Driven by his unwavering sense of righteousness and chivalry, Aldric mirrored Sheba and Mia's act of self-sacrifice, positioning himself in front of the cowering girls. With both hands unfurled in a steadfast defense, he stood resolute against the encroaching threat.

CLANG!

The creature's monstrous claw collided with a sword, the resounding clash of metal against keratin echoing through the chaos.

Feng had pried the weapon from the lifeless grip of the slave master's corpse, and in doing so, was able protect to the children from being cleaved in twain. Yet, as sparks ignited from the blade's contact, he realized the sword's limits were fast approaching.

"Go now!" his voice was strained with urgency, his gaze fierce as he held the creature at bay. "I can't keep this up for much longer!"

"R-Right!" Aldric stammered, but managed to steady his grip on April and Mia's trembling forms despite his quivering legs and the chaos surrounding them.

Keeping a firm hold on his bladder, he scanned the surrounding area. In the distance, he spotted Daisuke sprinting toward them, with Sylvia in swift pursuit.

"Haxks!" she called out from behind him.

"Sylvia?" Daisuke didn't look back but recognized her voice immediately. "I need a favor!"

"Yes, anything!"

"Do you know a safe place away from here?"

Sylvia got an ominous feeling, but there was no time to ask questions. "I only got caught and sold into slavery because I ran away from that safe place."