Introduction||Francis shelby

14th September, 1905.

Florence Shelby had gone into labour, her three son and her current youngest daughter sat downstairs. Tommy had ran for pollys house as soon as his mothers water broke, after he had gotten mrs chapman, who had had twins 3 years prior. The two women had gone upstairs to help Florence, Arthur and his youngest brother were sat on the worn out kitchen chairs.

Ada play with her half broken toy, Tommy was at the side leaning against the door. This would be her 5th child and they were barely making ends meet. Arthur sr would constantly spend his wages on beer, leaving no money for the five of them. Arthur jr had started forming a plan to make a gang called the 'peaky blinders' to help his mother. He had planned to let tommy join and John when he was slightly older.

Their father hadn't been home in 3 days, so they doubted he would be here to meet his 5th child.
Tommy still questioned why his mother still loved him. All he did was argue, be abuse and leave for days on end. Tommy had wanted to start working with horses. Suddenly, a groan and a cry had erupted upstairs.

Young Ada squealed as her older brother picked her up to meet their sibling. As the four of them walking into their mothers room, the saw Polly opening the windows. In their mothers arms, a baby with bright blue eyes slowly falling asleep. "Boys, unfortunately for you.. it's a girl" Ada's small eyes lit up.

"you mean another girl! Yay mummy, I love my sister" small Ada jumped in Tommys arms, still mumbling her words. All the boys smiled, Florence reminded Ada that she needed to be quiet as the baby had just come and this was all new to her. Ada nodded, putting her small arms around Tommys neck and resting her tiny head on his shoulder.

17th may, 1909.

Francis Shelby was now 3 years old, she had grown so much. Her mother had gone into labour, Polly had already been at the house but Mrs chapman was out getting her boys to school.
Francis sat quietly with her dolls, Ada resting her book on the kitchen table. Tommy tapped his foot impatiently, Arthur rested his head against the wall.

John was out making girls swoon over him, so he wasn't here. And once again Arthur sr wasn't here, Florence was on her own again. Francis felt unwell, almost anxious. She cried before tommy picked her up. Arthur was thinking about the business, he had set it up about a year ago and the money had started coming through.

Polly came downstairs with tears in her eye, carrying a baby boy. Arthur and tommy ran to Polly, "polly what's wrong? What's happened" Arthur said. They were both clearly concerned, polly could barely get her words out, she was sobbing which she rarely did.

"Your mother she's bleeding out, she's got atleast 30 minutes till she's gone" she sobbed, Ada felt tears in her eyes. Arthur froze and tommy put Francis down. She ran upstairs shouting for her mum, John had walked through the door. Arthur quickly told him what's happening and tears rose in his eyes.

Francis was only 3 but she could shout. she got to the room "MUMMY.. mummy" Florence sat pale in bed, Francis ran to her, hugging her arm. Florence smiled. Florence could feel the blood leaving her, she couldn't help but weakly smile for her girl. "My sweet girl, you be good for aunt Polly and your brothers won't you" she nodded.

Tommy, arthur and John walked into the room.
"My boys, I love you all so much. The world is cruel, but you all will get through if you stick together" her three boys nodded, teary eyed. She smiled softly, stroking each of their cheeks. Ada walked in last anxiously, her mother smiled.

"Ah.. my eldest daughter, my first daughter. Always so kind and caring, my Ada. Be good and let no man hurt you." She coughed, she got up from her bed. Hugging each one of her children, even Finn. The blood slowly dripped from her legs, but she ignored it.