Blessing of Night

"Youngling... how many times must I explain? I told you, I want to give you my blessing."

Still skeptical, Percy glared up at the goddess before him. Unable to sense any ill will towards him in her swirling eyes, he sighed.

"Okay."

"Okay?" Nyx asked, shocked. 

 "Okay." He agreed. "It seems like this is the best way to get back to them. I'm not passing up a once in a lifetime opportunity."

The primordial smiled, and Percy almost regretted his decision. Her grin wasn't one of kindness, but like that of deity playing with her human pawns. He had a suspicion that he was nothing more than that to her, a piece in the game she was playing.

"Well, are you going to do it or not?" He asked.

She surveyed him once more, then raised her hands. Expecting a blinding light, he screwed his eyes shut.

"Oh, open your eyes, little Godkiller. I'm the Goddess of Night. Why in Chaos would you expect light, of all things."

Oh. That was true.

Opening his eyes, he saw smooth, shimmering waves of darkness coil around him, sparkling and glistening, not with light, but shadows.

Enchanted, he almost reached out to touch one, but withdrew his hand, afraid he would mess up the process. Besides, if his time in hell had taught him anything, it was that you never touch strange substances, as they were either lethal traps or deadly in some other way.

He fell to his knees as the darkness engulfed him, gasping in pain as everything stung. A peculiar tingling started at his toes, before snaking it's way up his body. As quickly as it has started, the tingling stopped just as he felt the shadows go inside him, warm and cold, unfamiliar and comfortable, all at the same time.

Then, a scream escaped his mouth. It was as if his back had been torn apart. He felt two large things sprouted from the raw skin, shrieking with agony. An object struck him in the face, warm and fluffy yet tipped with shape edges like knives.

Digging his claw-like nails deep into the marble flooring, he gritted his teeth as the pain slowly subsided, as he felt the dark power nestle it's way into his heart. The sort of thing you don't realize you were missing until you have it.

"Why, aren't you a handsome little godling." Night whispered gently, lifting him to his feet.

Trembling, Percy clutched his knees, almost toppling over as he felt a foreign weight on his back, the bottom edges scraping deep indents into the whit tile.

With an odd sort of smile, Nyx summoned a mirror. Hands shaking, he grabbed it, staring, mesmerized, at his reflection.

"You didn't say it would make me... prettier." He gasped out, lacking a better word.

"It didn't."

"What do you mean?"

"Your ascension did that." The primordial said softly, staring into his eyes, and something behind him.

"My... ascension?"

"Why, of course. When you killed Akhlys, you broke a barrier within you. You're an immortal, Perseus."

"I'm a god?"

"No. An immortal. There's a difference, for you are not a god at all. Not quite a titan or primordial, either. You're an enigma, youngling. Only fate knows what you may grow to become."

He stared at his pearly white claws, feeling his sharp fangs with his tongue, (for there was no denying it anymore, he had fangs). He traced a finger along his much-too-smooth and much-too-shiny skin, especially for a demigod lost in Tartarus.

But if this was true, he wasn't a demigod.

He was immortal.

"A cleaning wasn't the only thing the blessing changed about you. Turn around." The goddes said bemusedly.

Slowly pivoting on the spot, Percy glanced over his shoulder at his reflection.

"I have... wings!?" He exclaimed.

Indeed he did. Huge, shining wings, soft and delicate and ending with tips thinner that a butterfly's wing, deadly and sharp.

"They're beautiful..." he muttered, giving them an experimental flutter, marveling as the jet black feathers shimmered in a rainbow of colours as a gentle breeze tickled his ankles.

Turning back around, he raised his wings, framing his reflection. Wrapping the over himself, he grazed a finger along the very tips, hissing slightly as he drew a drop of thick, golden Ichor.

Flicking it away, he unfurled his wings and held them behind him, poised to strike if need be, or ready to lift him up into the air for a quick escape.

Starting slightly as Nyx placed a cool hand on his shoulder, he smiled.

"Thank you..."

"There is no need to thank me. You will always be able to find an ally in me, little godkiller. I am intrigued to see how you may change the tides of fate. Simply call my name, and I shall be there for you."

With a weak smile back, Percy nodded.

"I don't know how to thank you."

"I already told you that. I'd like to see how this game gets played, and you are a key piece. I need to more payment than that."

With a slight, nearly imperceptible nod, Percy left, leaving nothing in his wake. Nyx smiled.

"An interesting story this shall be, indeed.".

Thanks for bearing with me through these last few chapters that were partially filler and had a LOT of dialogue!! And this really long super crappy one... 🫠

Ps. If I don't have the wave emoji at the end, it means that my stepbrother stole my phone and published it prematurely and y'all need to spam my comments telling me. Thanks!

~🌊