Chpt. 1 - Sick Aim

Olympia, Washington 1990

Mandy wished she had a break. With her band blowing up recently and her freedom being slowly striped away from her as she gradually got more recognized.

"Hey, Mandy, are you ready?" Maxine called out from the kitchen.

Mandy examined herself in her mirror on her closet's door. She couldn't pick a shirt to wear. She was originally going to wear a low cut tank top but it was a little too much cleavage. Then she started randomly putting on shirts to see if they look good.

Maxine opened her door, Mandy jumped in surprise and shields her chest.

"Max!" She cried. "Maybe knock like a normal person?"

"Hurry! We're gonna be late for our own show!" Maxine whined, walking in and putting her hands on her hips.

Mandy rolled her eyes and put an end to her weak attempt to shield herself. Maxine has seen her in her undergarments plenty of times from being roommates since 1986 and being best-friends since middle school. They had a sibling type of comfortability.

"I don't know what to wear." Mandy sighed, digging through her closet.

"Move aside." Maxine orders, pushing Mandy out of the way.

She rummaged through the closet and picked a black and red tank top with the words "Brutal" in a type of font most metal bands used.

"Wear these too." Maxine said, pulling out a pair of black baggy jeans and a black belt with silver holes.

Mandy quickly got dressed in the outfit Maxine picked out for her and scanned her figure in the mirror.

"Sick." She retorted, cocking her head to the side.

Maxine quickly and forcefully centered her head and brushed her hair.

"I know we're running late but can you not behead me, I'd really appreciate that." Mandy sarcastically said, Maxine rolled her eyes.

"I'll reattach it back when I'm done, how does that sound?" She remarked, matching her sarcastic tone.

After she was dressed they rushed out of their apartment, running down the stairs to get to the lobby and to Maxine's car.

Maxine quickly opened the door on the driver's side and Mandy scoffed.

"You're driving?" Mandy whined

"Yes, I'm driving." Maxine stated, annoyed.

_____________

Maxine ran into the venue, shielding her head as it began to rain unexpectedly as Mandy sped behind her, not particularly caring if her hair got wet by the drizzle.

Donna held the door open, urging them to hurry inside.

Once they rushed into the venue, they almost immediately got scolded by Donna.

"And where were you?" Donna sassed, cocking a hand on his hip.

"Her stupid ass took the wrong turn." Mandy admitted.

"Nonsensical! I took the right turn, I just didn't take the way you wanted to." Maxine defended, crossing her arms.

"Backroads are superior."

"Fuck you and back roads."

"Children, children, settle down." Lillith spoke as she walked up to her bandmates.

Mandy was going to plead her case more until she heard music play. That must be one of the bands opening for them.

Mandy walked out of the backstage area and into the rest of the venue, watching from behind a yellow chain and a security guard. The rest of her band followed her.