35| 𝔯𝔢𝔡 𝔴𝔬𝔩𝔣

castle black, the wall

— JON AND NYMERIA WERE IN THE LORD COMMANDER'S STUDY WHEN THERE WAS KNOCK AT THE DOOR. "Come." Nymeria called, and it swung open to reveal Edd on the other side.

"You wanted to see me?" She nodded, then gave Jon a small nod and he left, closing the door behind him. Edd shot her a confused look. "Was he wearing a cloak?"

She sighed. "Jon is leaving the Watch."

He frowned. "What??"

"He's not leaving the fight." she spoke firmly before he could worry too much. "But the watch murdered him. Yes, those men are dead now... but he pledged his life to the Night's Watch, and he gave it. I've seen it fit to release him."

Edd nodded slowly, though evidently still confused. "So what can I do for you, Lord Commander?"

She took in a deep breath, straightening. "I don't want another selection."

He shook his head. "We don't need one. You-"

"No, we don't. Because I'm going to appoint you as Lord Commander of the Night's Watch."

"What?" then it dawned on him. "You're leaving us?? Now?? You know what's out there!"

"Of course I do, which is why I can't be Lord Commander." She told him. "The men won't follow a woman - not without a fight, and there's no time for that. The only thing the Night's Watch has time for now is the Army of the Dead." She gave him a long look. "You're one of the hardest sons of bitches I've ever known. They will follow you."

"You swore an oath." he implored.

"My oath was not to the gods." She snapped, though her anger was not aimed at him. "I swore it before a Weirwood tree, yes, but my oath was to the man that led the Watch, and the people he protected, believed in. Now he's dead because those same people stabbed him in the back, and I am done serving men who'd rather see me dead in a ditch than fighting beside them."

He was silent for a long moment. Edd had known her longer than anyone left alive. He knew all that she'd lost to the Watch. And he knew she was right about the men, and she didn't deserve one more ounce of their utter bullshit. "Where will you go?" he asked quietly.

Her fingers grazed over a scroll on the desk bearing the symbol of her house. "Bear Island, maybe. I haven't been there since I was twelve, and Lady Lyanna certainly seems worth meeting."

They were interrupted by the horn blowing at the gate, and a shout from one of the men. "Riders approaching!"

"Open the gate!"

Nymeria strode out onto the walkway, Edd right on her heels. A short distance away she spotted Jon, also watching the gates with confusion. Then they pulled open to reveal three riders on the other side. One was a young man, not a strange sight at the Wall. There was a very tall woman in full armour with short blonde hair, and... gods. Nymeria had never met Sansa Stark in her life, but she and Jon had spoken about Winterfell and his siblings many times before. The young woman who rode in didn't quite match the description she remembered – older and taller, more mature-looking and definitely more haunted-looking – but was without a doubt the red-haired half-little-sister Jon had affectionately complained about.

She watched his face fill with shock even before their eyes locked. He descended the steps, crossing the yard towards her, and for a moment they both hesitated. It had been years since they'd last seen one another. Both of them had changed. Then they rushed forward, pulling one another into a tight embrace, and a small smile flickered over Nymeria's lips. She descended the steps towards them as they parted.