Chapter 2: Lust

[Year 2010]
I stood outside the school building, the sun blazing down on me. Sweat trickled down my face as I waited. Then, he saw me.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" He asked, his eyebrows furrowing in confusion.

"I'm waiting for you, " I replied, trying to keep my voice steady.

"Why?" He asked, a puzzled expression on his face.

"I need a ride, and we have a date remember?" I said, hoping he would agree.

"Sorry, I am busy. I have plans tonight." He replied, scratching his head in discomfort.

"Come on, you can take a little time off for me," I tried to test him, to see if he really loved me. I knew he was a playboy, but I was hoping he would prove me wrong.

"No," he said, his voice firm.

"Just an hour. We can have some ice cream or something," I pleaded.

"Fine, but just an hour," he finally agreed.

I was thrilled. I was finally going to spend some quality time with him. Since the day we became lovers, I always felt like I was the luckiest girl in the world.

We found ourselves in a park, sitting on a bench eating ice cream. I could feel his gaze on me.

"You know, you are really beautiful," he said, making me blush.

"Thank you," I replied, my heart fluttering.

"I have been thinking a lot lately, and I think we should stop seeing each other," he said, his voice serious.

"Why?" I asked, my heart dropping.

"It's not working out. I can't handle it anymore," he said, his voice filled with regret.

"You mean, you're breaking up with me?" I asked, my voice barely a whisper.

"Yes, I guess so," he said, his voice filled with sadness.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It felt like a punch to the stomach. My heart was breaking.

"But why?" I asked, my voice shaky.

"It's just not working out. I'm sorry, Cleone. I really am," he said, his voice filled with regret.

"So you're leaving me? For good?" I asked, my voice filled with disbelief.

"Yes," he said, his voice barely audible.

"How could you? After all we've been through? You promised you would never leave me. You told me you would always be there for me," I said, my voice filled with anger and hurt.

"I'm sorry, Cleone. I just can't do it anymore," he said, his voice filled with sadness.

I was furious. I couldn't believe he would do this to me. I was hurt, and angry, and confused.

"So you're just going to walk away? Without even a fight?" I asked, my voice filled with disbelief.

"I'm sorry, Cleone. There's nothing else I can say," he said, his voice filled with regret.

"You're a coward. You know that, right? You're a damn coward," I shouted, my voice filled with anger.

"I'm just afraid!" He shouted back.

"Of what?" I asked, my voice filled with confusion.

"I'm afraid I'm going to lose you. I'm afraid that I'm going to hurt you. I'm afraid that I'm not good enough for you. I'm afraid that you're going to leave me. I'm afraid that you're not going to love me anymore. I'm afraid that I'm not going to be able to make you happy. I'm afraid that you're going to leave me and that I'm going to be alone," he said, his voice filled with fear.