Chapter Twenty Two

Efia

"Ready?" Ailia asked as she faced Efia, her arms outstretched.

"Yes ma'am! I've never been more ready in my life!"

Ailia looked worried. "Are you sure that they'll believe you? I mean, weren't you thrown into their dungeon the last time you went there? I'm not sure that's a very reassuring idea."

Efia gulped. The last thing she needed at that point in time was for Ailia to be voicing the exact concerns that she'd been thinking to herself. "I'm sure I'll be fine," she said, as much to herself as to her friend. "Do you think I have everything?"

Ailia looked at her skeptically. "Yeah...I'm pretty sure you have everything."

Efia's entire body was covered in ropes, bags, and weapons. Basically everything that she'd ever need plus a few extra unnecessary things.

"Alright, Ailia," Efia said, taking a step back from her friend, "I think it's time for me to leave."

Ailia's bottom lip began to tremble and she rushed forward, wrapping Efia in a very tight embrace. "Are you sure you want to do this?" she whispered into Efia's ear.

Efia pulled away, a slightly annoyed look on her face. "Yes, Ailia, I'm sure. Thank you so much for helping me today. I know how much it hurts you to help me, especially because of your mother. But please, shift into me again. I can't risk anyone finding out that I'm gone, especially my father."

Ailia nodded. "Got it. Just," she looked away, tears filling her eyes, "be careful, okay? You're the only friend I've got at the moment and I want you to be safe. Don't take any unnecessary risks."

"Yes ma'am," Efia said with a grin, saluting to her friend. "Ready when you are, Ailia."

Ailia took a deep breath, calming herself, then she raised her hands towards Efia and whispered, "Incantasia Murindan."

Tears trickled slowly down Ailia's cheeks as she watched Efia melt into a cloud of black particles and get swept away by an invisible breeze.

Efia had been tellied multiple times before but she'd never enjoyed the experience and this time was no different. She hated the feeling of being disembodied but still being able to consciously think about what it felt like. Like usual the ride felt very long but it usually didn't actually take as long as it felt.

She landed in the middle of a small, very nicely furnished hut. The room was lit by bright moonlight streaming through the circular windows in the wooden walls. It was round and had a little round cornered door right near where she had landed. There was a small bed on one side of the hut and lying on the bed was a pile of flowers and notes.

"Huh," Efia murmured, standing up and walking to the bed. She picked up one of the notes, gently placed the rose that was attached to it back on the bed, and held it up to the moonlight to read it.

Dear Nyx,

I hope that if you come back to your hut that you

will remember the good time we had together. ♡

Evander

Her brow furrowed slightly but she picked up another one. This one read:

Nyx,

I hope to see you again one day soon.

I have no idea why you ran away but I sincerely

hope that you are well wherever you may be.