039.

YOU REMEMBER HEARING the buzzer go off as Sukuna, the captain of the other team, dunked the ball through the hoop, leading his team by two points. The team on the benches ran onto the court, surrounding him as they celebrated their win.

Satoru, who was out of breath and tired out of his mind, plopped down on the wooden floors, chest rising and falling as he tried to catch his breath. He lost.

His arms were spread out, mind hazed. Suguru walked up to him, his hand reached out towards his best friend. Satoru took his hand, being pulled off the ground.

The black haired male patted his back, walking over towards their bench. Some third years were crying, but he was looking for you.

It was when he saw you crying that it finally crashed onto him. He dropped his head, looking straight at the ground.

Suguru placed a towel over the Satoru's head quietly, letting him keep his pride by not letting anyone see him cry.

Itadori had flames in his eyes. He was determined more than ever to become better at basketball. He wanted to win next year, for sure. Megumi would try his best to help his friend achieve his dream.

Nobara had tears in her eyes, but was trying her hardest to keep her composure. She was known as the cool headed girl, and she wanted to keep that image.

Shoko was glaring at Sukuna. It just wasn't fair. The team worked their asses off. They deserved to win.

You hadn't expected yourself to cry this much. You didn't realize how sad you would be when reality hit. You weren't necessarily sad that you lost. You were sad that this was goodbye.

You held your breath, trying not to let out any sobs as you wiped the tears on your face. Satoru stood behind you, using you as a wall to hide himself from his team as he quietly cried.

He was the best captain, he didn't want anyone to see him so vulnerable. The coach gathered everybody for a quick team meeting, Satoru still standing behind you, holding your hand behind your back where no one could see.

You rubbed the back of his hand with your thumb in an attempt to soothe him. It was a close game, it really was.

The ride home on the bus was quiet, but in a peaceful way. Everybody was tired, physically from the game, from the adrenaline rush, and from crying. Satoru slept quietly with his head on your shoulder, while you watched the scenery.

Tomorrow would be the "Retirement Party", where there would be food and drinks, hosted by the coach himself in one of the classrooms at school. It was one of everybody's favorite events of the year, because they just ate and laughed.

When you reached the school, everybody was drained. It was nighttime, and it didn't take long for everybody to say their goodbyes, ready to take a shower and sleep. Satoru, as always, was determined to walk you home.

He held your hand tightly as he walked the familiar streets, swinging your arms lightly. There was a comfortable silence between the two of you.

It stayed like that until you reached your home.

You turned to face your boyfriend, a small smile on your lips. "Satoru," You called. His eyes were droopy. He was sleepy. "You did good today." You told him sternly, looking him in the eyes.

You had to make sure he didn't go home and cry his eyes out or anything. You felt reassured when he smiled back—a real smile—and nodded. "Thanks."

He leaned in, pressing a firm kiss to your cheek. "Goodnight." You waved your hand as he backed off your porch. "Goodnight."