2: Good Friday

Veneration of the Cross

I woke up unexpectedly early, just so I could be at the church on time. Fast forward, when I arrived at the church around 6:40 am I was welcomed with silence since gamay pa ang tawo sa church. Then, while I was sitting, waiting for the start of the solemn ceremony. I decided to walk towards the altar at the choir part looking for the envelope where I could put my "dyesmos" for the Good Friday celebration. When I arrived, I was noticed by our Pari who firstly compliments my hairstyle and I just smiled.

....

When the very awaited ceremony started, I am in the center of doubt on where I could start kneeling towards the altar. Reminiscing the same moment when I was a child, I just imitate what the oldies do, not minding what's behind the soul of the so called VENERATION OF THE CROSS. Back to the present, when the commemoration continues, I feel my knees wobbling as this faces against the autoinoculable sand living in the floor of the church. I know from that feeling that this is just a little taste of what Jesus Christ experience during his suffering, and with that mindset I continue kneeling as if it will wash my sins away.

My sweat is streaming down my skin as I approach closer to the table where I could witness my fellow Maharlikanhon kissing His minimal wood sculpture and it gives excitement to me as someone who have a long time faith to Him. When it was my time to kiss the part where He was being nailed with those sinful people, I fight the urge to cry remembering his misery and the time where he is always by my side when darkness enveloped my life. Finishing the highlight of the ceremony,  I stood looking above the statue covered by a black fabric, I offered my heartfelt sign of the cross and bow in front of the altar.

In deep breathing, I walk passed the people who hopefully mirrors my feeling as the ceremony end.