Steve

I’ll admit some things come to an end, but not everything expires. Of course, once my life’s work came to a stop, it felt like I was being crushed and twisted, like being in one of those suits. My perfect creations, my animatronics. The sleepless nights I’ve spent in the pizzeria, fixing them, and improving them for everyone’s entertainment. To achieve something no human being has achieved. Such passion I had when I started getting countless ideas to make something that would be printed in history books, in news articles, and in people’s minds. It was more than that once I snuffed out five little lights, in order for them to achieve immortality and for me to experiment and challenge death when I discovered my machines were brought to life against my will. I knew that once I learned they were living inside them, I needed a plan to control them, and so I did, thanks to her. That was long ago now, water under the bridge as they say. I started a new life, no need for me to go back to that, a clean slate to relax and enjoy the rest of my life. I had a new name, a new career, a new start, and a new chapter. I cannot complain about how life was after that, I had become a ghost to everyone who worked with me back at the pizzeria and led a pretty good life as an average guy.

I thought that maybe after all that hard work, I deserved a small break. A ballet was to exhibit in a newly built theater, and they were to perform the story of Snow White. I hardly knew the story, and I wasn't one to read books or kids' stories. The ticket was cheap, not that I had problems with money. Now, I had never been one to like any artistic hobbies (except that particular one) or witness one but that night it intrigued me to go and see what it was all about. I got my ticket and chose a decent seat, not very far or close to the stage, it was perfect to watch the performance. I tried to make myself look presentable, even though I never dress that fancy or buy anything to make me look the type. An old man like me shouldn’t worry about such things anymore, nor impress anyone; at least that wasn't what I worried about after the ballet. 

The whole place was full of kids, parents and rich people. The show must've been greatly expected months before tonight. The lights went out precisely at 7 Pm and music started playing. The spotlight had illuminated the stage, it brought back so many memories of the past; it felt like home again. The curtains were drawn and some dancers started jumping around and the females were twirling. They were doing the overture of the act, going along with the music. It was actually a really good part but the first act was even better when the stage started changing a little and some of the dancers left the stage. The light that illuminated the middle went off for a minute and then I saw her. The fairest of them all, even better. The beauty that played the princess made everyone awe with such delight and amusement, that I never kept my eyes off her. A young woman, pale like snow, her dress was of a night blue color, trimmed in gold, a sash made of silk wrapped around her neck. Her hair is what impressed me the most, a beautiful shade of purple, unusual to see a woman with such hair color. Those eyes, beautiful green emerald eyes that look like they could be mistaken for precious stones. I was so damned glad I attended the event and saw her, I knew immediately I wanted to meet her, know her. She would dance so gracefully, do everything perfectly, and bring out every feeling. The show came to an end and once all the main protagonists gathered on stage to bow to the applauding audience, she spotted me or that is what I thought but I knew she was looking at me. She softly smiled and bowed down, thanking us, no, me for witnessing such beauty. A few people, who seemed to be the director of the show and the girl's parents, approached her to bring her gifts. Everyone directed their eyes on her, she stole the whole show, but she stole more from me. The curtains drew again, closing and covering the stage. I got to see her once again, she looked at me once more, and she knew I stared for a long. I knew it wasn't the last time I would see her.

I thought I could wait for everyone to leave, and the theater to close. I waited outside, I wanted to see her, meet her privately. I wasn't a patient person but I was impressed I was willing to wait and just see her. Spectators left but I didn't see any dancers leave through the front door. Of course, silly me, each of them would leave behind the building for safety measures, to reach their home safely, away from prying eyes. I tried going around, hoping no one would see me, hoping I'd see her. Sometimes one couldn't hope, because I caught a glimpse of her in a car taking off slowly to the road. I felt a bit disappointed, considering that I might never see her again, of course it was silly to think that. I could always come back to see another dance. I returned home, barely able to sleep without thinking about her. I was under a spell, her spell, her beautiful performance. Is it weird to say she looked strangely familiar? She did, but I just couldn't remember where I had seen her before. Perhaps in dreams, perhaps that dream had become a reality.