An Unlikely Alliance -3

The birthday celebration of Murtasim Khan was nothing short of a grand spectacle. The entire Haveli was adorned with vibrant decorations, reminiscent of a newlywed bride, and the guest list boasted the presence of every distinguished personality in the region. The Khans were known for their extravagant lifestyle, which Meerab strongly disapproved of.

And now that she was the fiance of Great Khan Murtasim Khan, Maa Beghum wanted her to live up to that standard and dress like a bride. And meerab hated that.

It was his birthday not their walima!

The breakfast was a grand affair where she received Murtasim Khan smirks all the time, for she wanted to bury him alive. Such an asshole he was. But one thing she loved was Haya's hurt and crumpled expressions.

She was glaring at meerab and as soon as her eyes caught sight of a very notable love bite on Murtasim's neck, a gasp emitted from her and she left the table.

Meerab liked the little stunt she pulled out last night, well truth be told, she loved it for other reasons too but meerab would die rather than admit it. Haya deserved it. Especially after what she did last night.

Murtasim was a little too happy at the breakfast. Well, the hickey was too prominent and he was too shameless. She was glad that elders were too busy in discussions about their precious murtasim's birthday celebration but Maryam noticed it and was passing constant smirks.

————
The birthday celebration started and so did the arrival of guests. It was tiring. No, it was so irritating to be stood by the most infuriating man whose hand was fixated on her waist.

Maa begum wanted her precious son and meerab to behave as good hosts and receive each one of them. Meerab's social battery was draining with each passing second. Plus his touch was fiery.

Meerab was trying to ignore him and his hand but he was stubborn. The moment she stepped onto the lawn wearing a blue chiffon saree, it seemed like his eyes had been fixated on her, and meerab hated it. Well, she did not know what was going on between them, but surely it felt like a blaze. It seemed like they were burning in a circle of desire.

The evening was going on with meerab sitting with murtasim and plastering a smile as fake as possible when suddenly Maa Beghum approached them with her special guests.

Maa Beghum's nephew Ahmed was a barrister in London and thus she wanted him to meet meerab.
Hypocrisy was no doubt in their blood because she was the same maa begum who had strictly opposed her choice of being a lawyer.

Ahmed was a good guy, in his mid-thirties, and was very soft-spoken. Before she could stop herself, her inquisitive instinct kicked in and she found herself engrossed in deep conversation with him.
Another factor was that murtasim was busy with his business associates, without his lingering gaze and irritating presence, she found herself finally appearing at the otherwise boring party.

"Why don't you think about shifting to London in the future meerab?" Ahmed asked politely taking a bite of chicken appetizer. They were eating starters as Ahmed wanted some company and meerab was hungry so she acquiesced.

She was in the middle of eating meatballs when a veiny hand engulfed her hand which held the fork and took the bite of a half-eaten meatball.

"Hmmm.. It tastes good" murtasim said chewing it. Turning his gaze towards Ahmed, he answered curtly," We prefer to be in our country, Allhamdululah I am one of the leading businessmen in the nation, Aur meerab bhi yahan rehna hi pasand karti hai, haina meerab?"

Meerab rolled her eyes at his blunt lie. The truth was they had brutally tied her wings. Trying not to scoff, she turned her gaze towards murtasim and replied in the fakest tone," Of course".