19. the cog

-THE COG-

'So, now, as the Commander's second, it is my duty to lead my people until another Commander arises.'

-------------------------------------------------------

Sairah quickens her pace to catch up with Bellamy as they make their way back inside, returning to the tense scene where Raven is being restrained by Clarke and the others. As she enters the room, Sairah's eyes widen in alarm at the sight of Raven, whose anger seems to have intensified since their last encounter.

"Guys, we have to move!" Bellamy's urgent voice breaks through the tension as he positions himself just in front of Raven's bed, his grip tight on his rifle.

Reacting swiftly, Sairah rushes to Octavia's side, ready to lend her strength in holding Raven down. The air crackles with anticipation as Sinclair moves quickly, connecting the battery and pressing the button without hesitation.

Raven's agonized screams fill the room as the battery fries something inside her brain. Sairah watches in horror, unable to fully comprehend what she's witnessing—a battle between the dying Alie and the dying Raven within the confines of Raven's own mind.

In the eerie quiet that follows, minutes stretch on like hours to Sairah. Raven's screams eventually fade into silence as she collapses limply onto the bed, her eyes closed in what appears to be a nightmarish trance. The room is filled with a heavy sense of unease as everyone watches, their hearts heavy with the weight of what they've just witnessed.

Clarke moves swiftly, checking Raven's pulse with practiced efficiency before delivering her assessment. "She's breathing," she declares, her voice tinged with relief. With a sense of urgency, Clarke shakes Raven gently, hoping for any sign of the real Raven to emerge. "Raven? Come on, Raven," she pleads, her voice laced with desperation.

As the seconds tick by and Raven remains unresponsive, Jasper's voice breaks the tense silence. "She warned us," he interjects, his words a stark reminder of the dire consequences they were forewarned about.

Undeterred, Clarke continues her efforts, her determination unwavering. "Come on, Raven, wake up," she urges, ignoring Jasper's input.

Sairah's gaze remains fixed on Jasper as he approaches Clarke, her instincts on high alert as she senses something amiss in his demeanor. Just as she prepares to voice her suspicions, Jasper makes a sudden move, snatching the box containing The Flame from Clarke's pocket before retreating out of her reach.

"What are you doing?" Clarke's horrified cry echoes through the room, mirroring the shock and confusion written across Sairah's face.

Swift to react, Sairah strides purposefully towards Jasper, her eyes flashing with a mix of anger and determination. Jasper meets her gaze head-on, his own expression defiant as he removes The Flame from its protective container. "Don't move!" he warns, brandishing the artifact as a warning.

"Don't be foolish, Jasper," Sairah cautions, her hand inching towards the hilt of her Gladius sword, poised for action.

Ignoring her warning, Jasper's voice carries a note of bitterness as he speaks. "Alie did that to Raven. She's never gonna get this," he declares, placing The Flame on the table before picking up a nearby rock.

"No!" Sairah's cry is sharp and urgent as she rushes forward, seizing Jasper's arm and causing the rock to fall from his grasp. "Stop! It's Lexa!" she implores, her words cutting through the tension in the room like a knife. The other Sky People freeze, their attention drawn by the intensity of the moment. "Part of her is still in there. I was there when it was placed in her head, but I couldn't be there when they cut it out of her. So, please, don't take the only thing I have left of her away from me."