Chapter 7

So he had a brother. The information wasn't written in the papers, but probably they were still running some researches on him.

"So you have a brother, Mr Green? Do you care to elaborate further?" I asked smirking for the newly acquired information.

Green started to shiver and curse quietly, probably trying to come up with some kind of fake story. Or he was just thinking about asking for a lawyer. If I were him, I would have done the latter.

"Leave me alone! I don't want to speak with you any further!" He shrieked instead.

"I can only do that if you call a lawyer, Mr Green. Or else you're stuck with me as long as I deem necessary."

"I can't call a lawyer, I can't. Brother won't allow it" he mumbled while rocking on the chair.

It was rather odd. Surely he wasn't the mind behind everything, since he seemed so near collapsing from the stress of the few questions I asked him. Since it was rather clear I couldn't get any more information with a gentle approach, I changed strategy. I looked at him and calmly but firmly, started to speak again.

"Listen here, we got your fingerprints in the latest scene, and a partial match for the first one. So it's up to you: if you cooperate, the sentence will be lighter and you won't end up in a cell with a werewolf. But if you keep you mouth shut, i really doubt either the Council or your law will ever spare you that encounter. You know, wolves get angry when someone dares to harm their kind, even if they're not saints either."

He froze on the spot, eyes wide open and I actually thought he got some kind of a stroke. But what he said left me speechless.

"Brother would kill me before the trial anyway. I ruined his plans and he won't forgive me"

"What if we could protect you from your brother, instead?"

"Oh no no, I'd rather die by his hand than betray him. He would find me and skin me alive, before pouring salt water on me"

This time it was me staring at him with wide eyes. What kind of sick relationship there was between those two siblings? I tried to question him further even not about the mysterious brother, but all I got was silence from him and the soft creaking of his chair. So I gave up.
I stood up and left the room, calling Jason to inform him of what I got out of the suspect.

"Jefferson speaking"

"It's Hynes. Do you have a moment?"

"Oh good morning. Any news to report?"

"Yes. I got pretty much nothing out from the suspect, Andre Green. But he mentioned a brother. Their relationship seems unbalanced, Green said his brother would kill him for ruining his plans. So I'm assuming the other sibling, or who ever that is, is the master mind."

"Good job. We'll try to find something about Green's family, but it might take a while. I just a search for that name, but no brother is mentioned. And your suspect has a clean criminal record."

"If this is not the duo's first killing spree, I'm honestly surprised they never got caught. The Green here in custody doesn't seem fit to be so meticulous."

Jefferson assured me they would find as much information as possible about them before we hung up. As I got out from the building, I noticed it was nearly lunch time. And I grimaced visibly at the thought of having to eat that tasteless food. Even if I passed as ungrateful since it was free, I swore not even my department's one was so bad. So I had the idea of stopping quickly at the supermarket and get some very strong spices to give those dishes a bit of joy.

I walked for a while and finally found the place. Granby was small, but I almost got lost nonetheless. I paced fast through the lanes , looking for spices. When I found the right shelves, I grabbed strong paprika, chilly pepper and turmeric. When I got to the cashier, the woman there made a strange face, looking at what I bought. She was a werewolf, so I took note of her name tag, Sandra James, because I could ask her some information about the two victims who worked there too. I figured she found them to be too strong for her keener senses, but I was willing to burn my tongue off it it meant the food would taste anything else than cardboard.