zero.

prologue

prologue.

---

   "I SWEAR TO GOD AARON!" The voice of Carmen Stanton boomed throughout the two story New York home she shared with her boyfriend of six years, and the father of her three year old daughter, Aaron Judge. The couple stood across from each other in the large kitchen, Carmen in front of one counter while Aaron leaned against another.

"What? What the fuck did I do now?" Aaron shot back, his brows furrowed as he watched the girl in front of him throw her hands in the air in frustration.

"You know what the fuck you did! Don't act stupid, Aaron!" Carmen cried, tears welling in her eyes. She grabbed her phone and thrust it into his hands. A picture from an article written by TMZ displayed on the screen. In the picture was Aaron with his arms wrapped around two blondes wearing Yankee crop tops and caps. The headline read: "Yankees' Aaron Judge gets cozy with fans in Baltimore!"

"Babe, they're fans! I get asked to take a picture so I take a fucking picture! That's how it goes!" His voice was raised and his face was bright red. He watched as Carmen's bottom lip trembled.

"That's not just taking a fucking picture, Aaron. You have your arms wrapped around them!" Carmen pointed to the screen, the tears streaming down her cheeks.

"What about you and your fucking fans, huh?" he shot back, pointing at her. "What the fuck are you always doing? Taking pictures and giving them hugs! What the fuck is the difference, Carmen?"

Things had been going downhill for the couple for a while. They'd always been happy, always, and Carmen didn't know what had changed. Sure, he was always gone but it had always been that way and with her being an actress, she would also be gonna for extended periods of time. It was normal for them. But recently, things weren't the same. Their arguments became more frequent, their fights were worse, and the make ups weren't as nice as they used to be.

Carmen shook her head, wiping the tears from her face. "It's different because I don't have my arms around them and I'm not letting them put their hands on my abs or chest!"

"Carm, it's not like that, I swear." he sighed, rolling his eyes as he shook his head. 

"Then what is it like, Aaron? Please enlighten me." Her voice was cold and sarcastic, her arms folded across her chest as she stared at the tall man in front of her. He looked up, his eyes locking with hers. "Because this isn't the first time you've done this. You let them touch you, and you've let the others put their hands where they want! And I know you fucking flirt with them!"

He scoffed, rolling his eyes once again. "It's my job, Carmen. I have to interact with fans, just like you. I don't fucking flirt with them and I definitely don't fucking sleep with them."

"It's not the same thing and you know it." She shook her head, her face heating up. Her blood boiled. How could he say that? She didn't flirt with her fans, nor did she let them touch her the way that Aaron let those girls touch him.