Unspoken Secrets

After a while, Force broke the silence with a gentle clearing of his throat. "So, what have you been up to these past few years?" he asked, his voice tinged with curiosity as he glanced over at Book, who sat beside him with a faraway look in his eyes.

Book's demeanor shifted imperceptibly at the question, a flicker of uncertainty passing across his features before he composed himself with a forced smile. "Oh, you know, this and that," he replied vaguely, his voice betraying a hint of unease as he avoided meeting Force's gaze.

A sense of unease settled over Force as he noticed the subtle change in Book's demeanor, a nagging feeling of suspicion gnawing at the edges of his mind. There was something about the way Book hesitated, the way he avoided his gaze, that set off alarm bells in Force's head.

"Are you okay?" Force asked, his voice laced with concern as he reached out to touch Book's arm, searching for some semblance of reassurance in the midst of their shared uncertainty.

Book flinched at the sudden contact, his body tensing under Force's touch before he quickly pulled away, a forced smile plastered on his face as he averted his gaze. "I'm fine, really," he insisted, his voice strained as he shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

Despite Book's reassurances, Force couldn't shake the feeling that something was amiss, a sense of unease settling over him like a dark cloud as he tried to make sense of the sudden shift in his friend's behaviour.

In that moment, Force made a silent vow to himself to tread carefully, to respect the boundaries that Book had erected around himself like a fortress of secrets. He may not understand what lay hidden beneath the surface, but he knew that some truths were meant to remain buried, locked away in the depths of the heart where no one could reach them.

With a heavy heart, Force let the conversation lapse into silence once more, the weight of their unspoken words hanging heavy in the air as they continued their journey into the unknown, each lost in their own thoughts and fears.