chapter one

Kimberly sighed as she leaned back against the couch, the weight of her friend Chrissy's troubled relationship pressing on her shoulders

Kimberly sighed as she leaned back against the couch, the weight of her friend Chrissy's troubled relationship pressing on her shoulders. The phone call had been another chapter in the ongoing saga of Chrissy and Jason, and Kimberly couldn't help but feel a mix of frustration and sympathy.

Eddie, noticing Kimberly's evident distress, gently placed a wary hand on her shoulder. His soft brown eyes conveyed genuine concern as he asked, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, sorry, just Chrissy troubles," Kimberly replied, mustering a small smile for Eddie. She could always count on him to lend a listening ear. "I think I actually talked her into dumping Jason finally," she added, the sigh that followed betraying her building headache.

She felt pity for what her best friend was about to go through.

Eddie, the resident drug-dealing 'senior' senior of their high school, sat on the floor beside Kimberly, who had set up a makeshift study area with a coffee table strewn with books and study materials. "Wow, I can't imagine Jason will be happy with that," Eddie remarked, his tone reflecting a mix of curiosity and concern.

Kimberly frowned as she contemplated the repercussions of Chrissy's decision. "He hasn't got a choice; Chrissy deserves better than that asshole. Once we're out of high school, she'll see how better off she is without him."

Eddie chuckled, but his eyes were serious, contradicting his light tone. "Out of high school or Hawkins," he quipped, referring to their small town. The comment subtly acknowledged their unspoken plans for life after graduation.

Kimberly's wry smile in response held a mixture of determination and anticipation. She knew Eddie had overheard the conversation, and they both shared a silent understanding of their shared dreams of leaving Hawkins behind.

"I forgot to ask, how did the English paper go?" the brunette asks, remembering the last time they studied together, which was becoming more frequent over time. If Eddie needed her help, Kimberly was always there to offer it.

Eddie handed over some papers with a sheepish grin. His grades had steadily declined before he got tutoring from the pretty brunette, but now they were slowly going back up.

Kimberly's eyes scan over the words on the English paper he'd written in his scrawled handwriting.

"See! I told you that you could do it. If you put in as much effort with this as you do in your campaigns, you'll sail your way to graduation," She says to him with a happy smile, pleased at Eddie's work.

"I'm pretty sure I'm only passing because of you," Eddie chuckles as he scratches the back of his neck, feeling a blush rise from the neck of his shirt.

It wasn't speculation; it was a fact. Kimberly's help was keeping him going, and teachers were off his back.

Kimberly smiles as she looks at the older teen. "You're not just passing because of me, Eddie," she said, her gaze meeting his. "You're passing because you're putting in the effort, and that's something to be proud of. One day, you won't even need me," she teases, drinking from her soda bottle.