Chapter 3

Content warning: body dysmorphia/self esteem issues and internalised racism

----

Princess Amanda tried her best to stay still as Brina – her maid-in-waiting – helped her put on her gown over the corset. It was a simple garment, compared to some of the others that Amanda owned. It was almost blindingly white, contrasting starkly with Amanda's darker skin. Elegant patterns had been sewn into the bodice in silver and the long sleeves were puffed at the end. The gown flowed all the way to the floor, covering all of her body.

Amanda watched as Brina put on the heavy, dark cape over the gown. It had the royal family's emblem – a roaring lion golden on a red background – marked into the clasp. The cape was mandatory for her to wear as the princess. The attire provided Amanda with quite a bit of warmth so she did not mind its heaviness for once.

Hilde, her other maid-in-waiting, caressed her hands through Amanda's hair and started to braid it. Amanda could imagine Hilde's thin, pale hands weaving through Amanda's dark, wispy hair.

Amanda disliked her hair quite a bit; she had failed to inherit either of her parent's good traits. Her father, the king, was an intimidating figure and carried an air of authority around himself. On the other hand, the queen was slender and strikingly beautiful.

And here Amanda was, boyish and ungraceful; unfit for a princess.

"So, Princess," Brina interrupted her thoughts, "Today is an exciting day for you."

Her voice was bright and cheerful, as it usually was.

Amanda sighed, she hated being reminded of how special today was meant to be.

So she forced a smile and said in the most cheery voice she could muster, "Yes, I'm quite looking forward to meeting my suitor."

Brina must have understood that she was not in the mood for conversation because she did not say anything further. Both Brina and Hilde were good at reading Amanda since they'd known her for quite a few years.

Everyone around her was excited about her suitor, a boy named Kyle. He was one of Amanda's cousins but she had never met him before; his parents preferred to stay secluded from the rest of the royal family. He was the only male in her father's bloodline, which is why he was her suitor.

Her parents had conceived Amanda at a very old age which meant that now, twenty-one years later, the king was almost at the end of his lifespan. He wanted there to be an heir to the throne before he died. Otherwise, neighbouring kingdoms would see his death as an opportunity to invade Vikingenes Rike.

Amanda had asked her father multiple times if she could be the heir. She really wanted to become the monarch at some point in the future. She had studied the laws of the kingdom meticulously since she was a child and always did her best to be involved in Vikingene Rike's affairs as much as possible. But as she had grown older her father had started to exclude her from meetings more and more often. He told her that as she grew into a lady she should start focusing on being more elegant and feminine – like her mother. And whenever Amanda broached the topic of becoming the monarch the king shut her down quickly. He told her that it would be best for the kingdom if she focused on being a caring wife to the future king – which would be Kyle.

Hilde finally finished braiding Amanda's hair and stepped back. Amanda turned towards her full-length mirror to get a good look at herself.

Hilde had separated her hair into two braids and pinned them both behind her head. Hilde approached her again, this time with Amanda's crown in her hands, and placed the crown on Amanda. It was a simple crown, with a few amethysts set between the patterns.