Chapter 3

(NOTE: The 8k mark is in this chapter. The exact word is bolded.)

When he woke up the next morning, Niel was greeted with a letter from Kardin. He had no idea how he found out about his whereabouts, but he didn't even think it mattered. The innkeeper handed him the firm parchment envelope, just like the one he received his first letter in, but much thicker. The only thing written on the envelope was Niel Sarfort, but he knew there was only one person who could've sent that. He waited until he was back in his room to open the letter.

Dear Mr. Sarfort,

I'm afraid we have run into an unexpected turn of events. Last night, I noticed that someone had entered Kasena's room because a number of objects had been moved from their original positions. After investigating, I found that some of her jewelry was missing. The room was in perfect condition earlier that morning, so the theft must've happened throughout the day, perhaps even while we were discussing the problem at hand in my office. The servants are not allowed to enter the room without supervision, or to move anything, and they all claim that they haven't done so.

Seeing that my sister has been away from home for a month, I'm more inclined to believe that it was her who snuck into the house somehow and took that jewelry with the intent to sell it because she ran out of money. I noticed that most of the stolen jewelry were the pieces she never wore, or even strongly disliked, so I feel confident in my theory.

However, one of the missing items is a necklace that was gifted to her by our mother. Despite not wearing jewelry often, she liked that necklace and wore it on many occasions. That's something she is more likely to keep by her side rather than sell it.

I included some sketches and descriptions of the jewelry, although there might be some pieces that I missed. There are four pawn shops in Avisir that I currently know of. If I'm right, and she is really running out of money, then her first priority would be selling some of that jewelry to get money for traveling to a different place (unless she is still hiding somewhere in the city), so try asking around in those shops and see if any of that jewelry has been sold. In case it has, you don't need to retrieve it. Just let me know the details and I will handle the rest.

Good luck.

Kardin Ravillet

Niel grabbed a small stack of papers from the envelope and examined the pictures one by one. They were very skillfully drawn, all showing some expensive jewelry. Was Kardin himself the one who drew that? Or did the rich families just have hand-drawn pictures of the jewelry they owned lying around?

After briefly cursing himself for waking up so late, he quickly washed up and stormed out of the inn without any food. He was sure he'd regret that decision later, but the sun was already hanging high in the sky, so he had no time to waste.

Kardin said there were four pawn shops that he was aware of, but there could've been even more. He didn't tell him where either of them were, so Niel had to stumble around the city, asking random passersby for the location of the nearest pawn shop, which earned him quite a few odd looks from people.

Finally, after some walking, he found the first one. The shopkeeper was hunched behind the counter, looking at a thin golden bracelet with scrutiny. He adjusted his glasses before looking up at Niel.

"Welcome! Welcome! How may I assist you today, good sir?" the shopkeeper said with a sly smile on his face.

Niel showed him the stack of pictures, spreading them across the counter. "Look at these pictures. Has any of this been sold here yesterday?"