2

Dazai was right. He was being invited out. But he had no clue if it was a date or not.

"Saturday..."

The thought of Saturday spammed his head. It wouldn't go away. His heart was beating fast all day Friday, but he figured it was just nerves.

Currently, it was Friday evening. Atsushi and Kyoka were playing a game upstairs for a while, leaving Dazai alone to his thoughts.

"If I go out on Saturday, will it be alright? I don't want to force Atsushi to watch Kyoka while I'm gone or anything, and what if something happens while I'm gone? I'd never forgive myself if something happened while I wasn't there..."

Dazai was no stranger to such things as overthinking and worrying. Especially when it came to his kids. His kids meant everything to him and more, and he was terrified at the thought of losing them.

Maybe it stemmed from his own trauma involving his parents and his childhood, or maybe it stemmed from knowing the horrors of the foster care system in Japan.

He remembered the moment he and Atsushi went to go meet Kyoka. Dazai knew he wanted to adopt a girl next, but the orphanage they went to was full of girls.

The orphanage used to be a prison, so the bedrooms for the kids there were actually prison cells. And that was the least of their issues.

Atsushi and Dazai were walking through the halls of cells, noting the four or five kids in each one. These orphans had not only been abandoned by their parents or faced the death of their parents, but some had even run away from other countries to Japan in hopes of a better future.

Most of the kids looked disgusting and covered in dirt and bugs, wearing rags. Some of them barely had clothes on.