capture me instead

⠀⠀It's officially capture the flag day. 

This was the day she had been waiting for all week, the chance to put her tactics and skills to the test in a real-life scenario. While she enjoyed the thrill of training in the arena, there was something exhilarating about facing off against actual opponents, knowing that one wrong move could mean defeat.

She liked it very much. 

The teams had been selected the previous night during the head counselors' meeting in Chiron’s office, with cabins chosen at random to determine the red and blue teams.

It was agreed upon that the cabins of Hermes, Ares, Demeter, and Dionysus were going to be the red team. Whereas the cabins of Athena, Aphrodite, Hephaestus, and Apollo were going to be the blue team. 

They were going to win no matter what. 

Her competitiveness was awoken by Luke when they talked about today’s game last night as they went back to the cabins from the Big House.

“I hope you're prepared to lose, Alessandra,” Luke said that night as they left the big house, the figures of the other head counselors already growing smaller and smaller as they gained distance. The moon cast a soft glow over the camp, illuminating their path as they walked side by side.

Alessandra shot him a playful grin, her eyes gleaming with mischief. "Are you sure you should be saying that to me?" she replied, her voice laced with teasing.

Luke chuckled, his breath forming wisps of mist in the cool night air. "Why shouldn't I?" he asked, a playful glint in his eyes as he glanced at her.

Alessandra rolled her eyes, tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear before wrapping her arms around herself. "Hmm, if that's what you say," she said sarcastically, a smirk playing on her lips.

“Are you cold?” Luke asked, noticing her shivering slightly in the chilly night air.

“Nice observation, Mr. Obvious,” Alessandra quipped, her tone light and teasing.

“Haha, you're not funny,” Luke teased, reaching out to wrap his arms around her in a playful embrace.

“I never said I was,” Alessandra retorted, a playful sparkle in her eyes as she dodged out of his reach.

“Come here you,” Luke said, his voice filled with laughter as he lunged playfully toward her, attempting to wrap his arms around her.

Alessandra let out a high-pitched scream, laughing as she darted away from him, her feet pounding against the soft earth as she ran.

“Stop chasing me!” she called out over her shoulder, her laughter ringing through the night air.

“Stop running!” Luke called back, his own laughter mingling with hers as he gave chase.

As they raced through the camp, the cool night air whipped past them, the sound of their laughter echoing through the trees. But suddenly, Alessandra came to a halt, her heart pounding in her chest as she turned to face Luke, a mischievous grin on her lips.

So she stopped running causing Luke to bump behind her and causing both of them to fall. 

Alessandra grinned up at him, her cheeks flushed with excitement. “Looks like you caught me,” she said, her voice filled with playful amusement.

Luke grinned back at her, his eyes sparkling with laughter. “Caught you,” he echoed, reaching out to help her to her feet.

As they stood there, brushing off the dirt from their clothes, Alessandra couldn't shake the feeling of warmth that lingered in the air between them. Luke's laughter echoed in her ears, his smile lighting up the darkness around them.

“You play too much,” Luke teased as he looked down at her with a gentle smile.

Alessandra laughed, the sound echoing through the night air as she reached up to take his hand, allowing him to help her to her feet. 

"Come on, you like it," she replied, her voice filled with playful banter.

“That's true,” Luke admitted, his smile widening as he squeezed her hand gently.

As they stood there, bathed in the soft glow of the moonlight, Alessandra couldn't help but feel a sense of contentment wash over her. Despite the teasing and the laughter, there was something undeniably comforting about being in Luke's presence.

She had come to terms with the fact that perhaps they were only meant to be friends, and she was determined not to let her feelings get in the way of their friendship.

“Come on, we have a game tomorrow,” Alessandra said, her voice calm as she looked up at Luke who looked twice as charming under the pale moonlight.

Friends.

Just Friends.

“The first team to retrieve the opposing flag and return it across the river, shall be the victor.” 

Yeah, friends who are standing on opposite sides of the river. Their eyes intently looking through the others, their chests dancing to the rhythm of their hearts that beat in unison. It was as if no one had existed besides the river that separated them both. Their gaze held an intensity that transcended words, filling the air with an electric tension that was both exhilarating and daunting. Holding each other's eyes felt like facing each other with such close proximity that it felt suffocating.

“Preparations are already starting,” Annabeth's voice broke through her reverie, pulling Alessandra's attention back to the present. She turned to face the younger girl, her expression focused as she listened to Annabeth's report.

“Mhm,” Alessandra murmured in acknowledgment. The archers were on their way, Malcom and Charles were guarding the flag—everything was falling into place.

“Go to the west side, support the guards there,” Alessandra instructed, her voice firm but filled with confidence. “If you're overpowered, retreat immediately. You know the pathway already?”

Annabeth nodded, her expression serious as she absorbed Alessandra's instructions. “Good,” Alessandra said, offering a reassuring smile. “Good luck out there.”

As Annabeth walked away to join her teammates, Alessandra turned her attention back to the river, her eyes scanning the opposite bank for any sign of movement. The archers were well-hidden, their presence masked by the dense foliage that lined the riverbank.

That was good.

Taking a deep breath, Alessandra focused on the task at hand, her mind clear and her senses alert. The game was about to begin, and she was ready to lead her team to victory.

With that, the sound of the horn engulfed the whole forest.

The game had officially started.