Chapter 6

The journey to the ballroom was one of nervous excitement. Midwinter balls are the largest, most formal events thrown annually in Gila. Each year it changes settings. Last year it took place in Cenia. Now, it's in Thavaria. And to make the night even more thrilling, this would be both Eve's and my first Midwinter. The rules said that you had to be 15 or older to attend. And yes, we are 17, but we aren't permitted to leave our kingdom yet.

Once we were in front of the grand doors, Eve stopped and I matched her. "Thea, do you understand what we are about to do? About to witness?"

"Not really. But I'm sure by the time we leave, we'll be well-educated."

We giggled and faced the doors. Then we walked in. As soon as we entered, my senses were immediately flooded with chaos. But the good kind. There was an orchestra playing dancing music, people laughing and talking, mouth-watering smells of appetizers being paraded around, and the room was so filled with decor, it's hard to believe that everything was put up within 24 hours. The banisters were wrapped in pastel colored garland, faux snowflakes hanging everywhere. There was even some mistletoe dangling, trying to remain elusive until you were right underneath it.

After we had gotten past the enormous entryway, there was a just as large staircase with smaller ones connected to it. I linked arms with my best friend, and we made our grand entrance to a night we would never forget.

"Ladies and gentleman," a voice boomed. I turned from a dull conversation about politics to see an old man at the top of the staircase. He had a monocle, white tied back hair, and a navy suit. This page was older than the ones I've seen before.

"May I present to you...Prince Evander of Gila." We all sank into polite bows and curtseys. I glanced at Everly to see her blushing. Everyone rose and continued conversing. "Excuse me," I whispered to the couple I was talking to earlier and walked to an empty table and sat. I smoothed out my gown so that it wouldn't wrinkle.

The orchestra was playing lively music that just begged people to come out and dance. I recognize some of the dancers. They were mainly girls my age trying to woo men of high ranks. I even saw Everly, but she was dancing with her father. At the sight of them, I wished Papa was here too. It would've been nice to see him out with others, socializing. He was a very quiet man who followed orders and never asked any questions.

"Good evening, Theadosia," says someone. I turn to see Captain Valeska in her uniform, newly-polished medals shining in the light. She had a woman that looked to be the same age as her on her arm. I stood and curtseyed to show respect for my commanding officer. She bowed her head in return and her courtier mirrored my actions.

"How is your arm feeling?" Valeska asked.

"Much better. Thank you for dismissing me," I said, unsure of what I should say. "The boy was dealt with. He claims that he didn't mean to inflict any harm, that he was provoked by something he saw. Didn't tell me what."

"Oh, alright. He apologized to me numerous times, but thank you for talking with him." I already had a sense of what she told me, but her words confirm that the man was most likely why he was aggressive.

The captain nodded and gestured to the dance floor. "If you'll excuse Eloshay and I, we are going to dance. And I'll see you tomorrow at the Grounds, Theodosia." I bowed and said, "Yes, you will. And it was wonderful to make your acquaintance, Eloshay." They smiled and walked off.

Well, since I'm standing now, I might as well take a stroll around the room. It was very crowded, almost as if all of Thavaria was there. I took a calming breath and pushed on. I nodded respectfully whenever eye contact was made and said hello to certain people I recognized. How long was this event? Even though it had just started, I wish it would end. The music suddenly died down and I decided to watch the next dance.