7 - Ditched

Back at home, Mom and Dad are raving about Will's win in the battles. "I just can't believe you actually won Save The Citizen as a freshman! I mean I know Jada did it last year but wow." Dad raves as he drags Will out the living room.

"And you topped Mom's best score on the pinball machine!" Dad then says and I sigh, annoyed that they haven't said anything about my wins. I love my parents but sometimes, they get carried away with Will and it's like I don't exist.

We all walk into the kitchen to then see Mom and Gwen speaking. I freeze in my place and my face falls. "What is she doing here?" I ask Will annoyed.

"I don't know." He then whispers to me.

"There they are." Mom says as she spots us three.

"Gwen?" Will asks her.

"Hey." She greets him.

"Oh, Dad, this is Gwen Grayson. Gwen Grayson this is Dad." Will introduces them in an awkward way.

I sigh and take out a can from the fridge. I crack it open then watch their interaction.

"Mr Stronghold, it's such an honour. I'm sorry to barge in like this." Gwen apologises.

Dad smiles and I roll my eyes. "Oh, not at all. Will, Jada and I were just hanging' chillin'."

"Honey, Gwen here is a Technopath." Mom explains to dad. "And she's offered to help Will with his science homework. And she's a senior."

"Oh, well sorry to break it to you Gwen, but me and Will were actually going to the Paper Lantern tonight..." I say and walk over to Will with a pointed look.

"We were?" He questions confused.

"Yes. We are. Remember?" I ask him but he's still lost. "You're a lost cause." I whisper to him.

Mom then gives me a pointed look and smiles. "Honey, I think tonight it would be nice if we all eat dinner together."

"Yeah, no sorry. As long as she's here, I won't be." I say and walk out and up some stairs.

"I'm sorry about our daughter." I hear Dad say and I roll my eyes as they are wrapped in her trap. "She can be a little icy to some people." I hear Dad say.

Once, I'm in my room I find some nice clothes to wear. I pick out a simple white top with a skull on it and some black leggings. I put on my converse and check my phone to see it's 7:30 pm. I get my books I need for my studying and then put them in my bag. I then check myself in the mirror and sigh.

I can't believe Will forgot. Some friend he is.

I head down the stairs to see Will and Gwen on the sofa together going over the science homework. "I'm heading to the Paper Lantern. Last chance to join me Will."

"He's with me so scram." Gwen then sasses me and I scoff.

"This is my house." I say and she smirks.

"Is it? Cause you aren't even blood related..." She then says and I look at her angry and astounded. "Will... you seriously gonna let her say that?" I ask him and he looks between us lost.

"Well, she's not wrong...." I hear him say and I scoff, tears welling in my eyes.

"Wow, some brother you are." I say and open the front door then step out and slam it shut. I decide to take the long way to the restaurant to calm myself down and by the time I get there it's 8:20. 

~~~

I walk in the red building and noticed how packed it is. I look around and spot Layla sat at a table alone. I smile at the receptionist and tell her that my friend is here and so I sit down at Layla's table.