Milkshakes

CHAPTER THREE | MILKSHAKES

****

I R E L A N D   S C H U L A R I C K

When I reached the doors of the library, I was met with Rick and Cole, who were walking from the opposite direction. 

"Hey, there Addie," Rick said as we approached each other. 

"Hi, Rick. How was practice?" 

"Pretty good. The team's still strong. All was well until the freerides on the JV team decided to show up. Captain Duckie's got some defensive issues." Him and Cole laughed at that, mocking the JV team. 

"That's not nice to make fun of people, Rick," I scolded him, walking past him to get my stuff where London still sat, reading her book. I put my stuff in my bag, including my wet shirt, then returned to Rick and Cole in the hall. 

"Hey, where'd you get that?" Rick asked as we walked to his car. 

"Get what?" I asked, oblivious. 

"That sweatshirt. You weren't wearing it this morning, or at lunch."

"Oh, it's some boy's who ran into me and spilled water on me. He felt bad and wouldn't stop apologizing until I let him give me it." I answered truthfully. 

"What was his name?" Rick narrowed his eyes at me. 

"Charlie Conway, why?"

"Charlie Conway? As in Captain Duckie?" Rick asked. 

"Captain who?" Now I was just confused. 

"Captain Duckie, you know, captain of the JV hockey team? The one who has serious defensive issues?" 

"Oh, I had no idea he was captain. I only knew he played hockey because of his jersey. What's wrong with him?"

"His player got a little hotheaded after I made a joke about his teammate. Coach Wilson called us off before he could do anything though."

That didn't seem like the Charlie I had run into. The Charlie I had run into seemed really nice. 

Shrugging my shoulders, I changed the subject. 

"Is Cole coming with us?" I asked, eyeing Cole warily. 

"No, he's going to our dorm. It's always just us."

"Just making sure. I can't deal with more than one sweaty boy."

I heard Cole let out an offended huff and I shrugged at him, earning myself a playful push from Rick. 

"Now, now, I can't have you bullying my teammates, now can I, Addie."

"Pfft. He'll be fine. Now, how about those milkshakes?"

****

When Rick and I walked into Mickey's Diner, we were instantly met with Ms. Casey, who had always been our server every time we came. 

"Hello Ireland, Rick. Table for just you two, right? And the usuals?" She asked from the other side of the counter. 

"You know it," I returned her smile. 

After she seated us at our regular table at the end of the diner, we were left alone. 

"So, how was your first day of high school?" Rick asked after a minute.