Proluge

The starry cats of Starclan stared down through the clouds, observing the medicine cats in the flowery clearing below. A ginger she-cat stood next to a large, fluffy dark gray cat. "Love, are you sure you made the right decision," she asked him, yet never taking her eyes off the gray and black and white cats.

"I am sure, Flintclaw," the tom said.

"I have been here longer than you. I know the secrets we hold. I know she wasn't the right choice. You shouldn't have chosen her because she is our daughter."

"I chose her because she was one of the most hardworking cats in the clan and only that."

"She was never meant to be leader," Flintclaw said, "It was supposed to be him."

"The loner?"

"Do you not remember what I told you? When the second rainstorm begins, the sky will clear, and the sun will shine. Are you daft enough to ignore a prophecy!?"

"Flintclaw, quiet. I believe that I made the right decision."

"Then what about our son? We have both seen the signs, what will happen when it happens?"

The tom shook his head, signaling for Flintclaw to stop talking. "The medicine cats will speak with us now."

Flintclaw watched as the medicine cats dispersed, moving toward cats of their own clans. She approached a red she-cat, Applestorm of Breezeclan. When Applestorm saw her, she hissed and reeled away. "Traitor!"

Flintclaw blinked, letting Applestorm bristle with anger. "What do you want with me, code-breaker?"

"I am here to deliver an important message, and to apologize. I left Breezeclan for something a medicine cat wouldn't understand. Love. I miss you, my kin dearly, but while I was alive, Rainclan was where I felt I belonged. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me."

Applestorm still scowled, but she smoothed her pelt a little. "And the message?"

Flintclaw opened her mouth to respond, but couldn't, cloudy tendrils were looping around her claws, keeping her from moving. Oh no, it's happening again, Flintclaw thought as she entered a prophecy trance.

Beware the falling water,

Beware the clan of fire,

Beware the trees when the stars start to vanish,

Beware a cat who is not who they act to be,

Beware the rain in times most dire.

One cat will bring the sun,

One cat will bring balance,

One cat will lie in the shadows,

Beware the forest when the war is won.