Prologue

If you wake up one day and notice you can fly, talk to animals, or anything of the sort, the first thing you need to know is that you're royally fucked.

I must know, I'm speaking from experience. Ever since I first started to grow feathers at the age of seven, my life has been a big game of hide and seek. At first I thought those stray feathers came from a pillow, and tried to ignore the fact that they're the same shade of light brown as my hair. When I couldn't live in denial anymore, fear came, and that was much worse.

I thought I was hallucinating or going crazy when I first saw my talons -- bird talons. To my luck, I could retract them like a cat does to its claws, and this way I could hide them. So I kept silent. That's what I've been doing most of my life.

Even when the monsters came. Almost every night tentacles cast shadows on my bedroom wall, and the light of the street lamp was blocked out by something standing in front of the house my family rented a flat in.

They just stood there and watched -- or at least I thought they watched, I didn't have the slightest idea which way they were facing. Once it occurred that one of them entered. It punched the window open with its tongues, but by the time it was inside, I hid in the wardrobe. It started to break things, but soon I heard a man's voice screaming at it to stop and they both left.

My parents thought this was the doing of some aggressive burglars. The police has been looking for the criminals ever since. I didn't dare utter the word.

That was probably the wisest thing to do. I would be in a mental hospital right now if I did.

The invisible monsters haven't visited me in a few years now. I was safe. All I had to do was pluck my feathers, hide my talons and lie. Or at least that's what I thought.

My name is Dusha Nex LeFay, I'm sixteen and this is my story. Proceed with caution.