𝕱𝖆𝖎𝖗𝖞 𝕿𝖆𝖑𝖊

The fairy looked at her in disbelief, her jaw dropping. "I grant you a single wish. You could wish for anything in the world, and you seriously want this?"

The young woman, around 20 years old, sat cross-legged on her bed. She wore a dark red nirvana band tee. Her long, straight dark-brown hair cascaded down, slightly tousled, with strands falling across her face. Brushing one from her green-brown eyes, she nodded.

The fairy thought the woman either incredibly naive or exceptionally brave. Never in her millennia of granting wishes had she encountered such a request. She offered people the chance to change, to better their lives, to realize their dreams — not to destroy them. Taking a deep breath, the fairy asked, "Let me get this straight." She shook her head gently, her long, luminous silver hair shimmering like moonlight, illuminating the room. The hair, nearly touching her delicate feet clad in silver ballerinas, didn't hinder her movement as she floated slightly above the ground. Who would walk when they could fly? It was a wish she'd gladly grant over what was just whispered to her. She sighed deeply, rubbing her eyes, "You want me to help you travel back in time, break some serial killer out of prison, save him from his death sentence, and escape together to a safe place?"

The young woman nodded eagerly, "Yes, and he's not just some serial killer; he's Ted Bundy!"

The fairy rubbed her eyes again, feeling the weight of her timeless age. For a fleeting moment, she contemplated retiring to a peaceful existence, maybe on a beach or in the mountains. Both were lovely. "And then what? What do you think you'll do?"

Blushing, the young woman twirled a strand of her hair. "He'll be eternally grateful. We'll talk. I have so many questions. He's brilliant. I want to hear his views on everything: politics, art, music, love, even his crimes. I want to see his enchanting smile, gaze into his captivating blue eyes. And maybe, if he likes me, I'd like to kiss him." She grinned sheepishly.

The fairy stared blankly. "You believe he'll just chat, kiss you, and let you go?"

The young woman nodded.

"He's a serial killer."

Again, she nodded.

"He's about a decade older than you."

She merely shrugged.

"You resemble the women he raped and killed."

Pride illuminated the young woman's eyes as she squealed, "I know, isn't it amazing? I love it!"

"Why do you think he wouldn't harm you?"

Tilting her head, she replied with innocence, "I saved him. Why would he hurt me? And if he did want intimacy, it'd be consensual. He's incredibly attractive; I'd probably say yes. It'd make my first time special."

The fairy sighed. This girl was naive. Perhaps it was time for her to experience the harsh realities and understand life wasn't the rose-tinted fantasy she believed in. She'd clearly been engrossed in fan pages and fanfictions, celebrating men who would harm her without a second thought. There were countless attractive men who weren't killers, right? The fairy could've conjured one up or brewed a love potion for a campus crush.

With no choice but to grant the wish, she nodded. The alternative was spending decades by the woman's side. Fairy Code. Once the wish was granted, however, she doubted the woman would live much longer.

"Very well." The fairy snapped her fingers, emitting a celestial glow. The young woman watched, entranced.

"You'll fall asleep and awaken in a car outside his prison. The doors will be unlocked, and the guards and inmates, barring Bundy, will sleep soundly. I'll provide a safehouse in the forest, and you'll know the route upon awakening." Her voice grew stern and her violet eyes with golden speckles sparkled ominously, "But remember, you can only return to this realm if he expressly allows it."

As the stellar dust enveloped the young woman, the fairy murmured, "Which likely won't happen. So enjoy your fate, and farewell."

The young woman's eyes widened one last time before succumbing to a profound sleep. By morning, her cozy apartment bed was empty, save for a sprinkle of golden glitter.