John Wick - Ice-Cream Shop

You walked down the street, taking a casual stroll - when you happened to walk by your favorite ice-cream shop. 

Stopping for a moment, you debate before going in and staring at the menu, deciding what flavor to get.

The employee behind the counter smiles at you politely - the nametag he's wearing says John. You try to think back to your previous visits and remember seeing him, though not at the counter.

You approach the counter and dig out your card.

"Good afternoon... can I please get a scoop of (y/f/f) ice-cream? Just in a cup, please," you say, and John nods at you.

"Of course, (y/n). Will that be all for today?" he asks, getting a cup ready to put the ice-cream in. You take a moment to register that he knows your name, because you don't remember telling him your name during your previous visits.

"Yes, that's all. Thank you, John." You tap your card and John scoops the ice-cream into the cup, before handing it to you. His fingertips brush lightly against your hand and you feel your skin tingle where his fingers just were.

You sit at a table and slowly eat your ice-cream, just letting your thoughts wander. Finally, after feels like an eternity, you stand up and throw your cup away before waving goodbye to John and leaving the small shop.

Later that night, you're heading home from the shops, after buying some things you'd been meaning to buy for a while. You happen to look in your rearview mirror and notice a car following you closely.

That's odd, you think, but wave it off as an impatient driver or maybe even a drunk. You keep driving and eventually pull up to your house. The car seems to have disappeared, and you're not sure where it went.

As you hop out of the car and open the boot, you hear a THUD followed by someone cursing softly. The voice sounds familiar to you, but you can't quite put your finger on it at the moment. You look over towards the sound, and see the silhouette of a man standing on the footpath about a meter away from your car. As he shifts ever so slightly, his face is illuminated by the streetlight and you gasp.

It's John.

Startled, you drop what you just picked up from the boot, and this causes him to start walking over to you. You panic, not sure what he's doing here and how long he's been observing you without you noticing.

"Are you okay? I didn't mean to scare you, I'm sorry," he says in a soft voice as he reaches your car he picks up the object you dropped and holds it out to you, and you take it from him.

"It's alright, really... I was just a bit surprised to see you here, honestly," you explain. "I didn't know you lived in the same neighborhood as me, though."

"Uh... yeah, I do," he says with an awkward laugh. "Do you need a hand getting everything inside?" He gestures to your boot which is nearly full due to the sheer amount of stuff you bought at the shops.

You nod. "Yes, please... it would take me ages to get all this inside on my own."

He smiles at you before picking up several items and following you as you walk up to the front door, unlock it and go inside before gesturing for him to put the items anywhere.

"Just put them anywhere, I'll sort them out tomorrow," you say to him as you both go back outside to get the final objects from your car and lock it. He nods in understanding and places the final items on the table with a small sigh.

Feeling suddenly impolite, you offer him a drink, which he accepts - so you get up and fill two glasses of water, handing one to him and taking a sip from your own.

"So, how long have you lived in the neighborhood?" you ask, curious to learn more about John.

"Oh, um... you see, I don't actually live in the neighborhood. I live on the other side of town," he explains, running a hand through his long, dark hair.

"Then what brings you here?"

"It's you. Since my wife died, I've been looking for another partner... someone to care for and protect, and when I saw you for the first time, you caught my eye. So I started following you. It wasn't that bad at first; I'd follow you as you shopped, then leave, but it got worse over time - I started following you home and observing you in your house. I know what time you eat your meals, and what time you go to sleep. I know I sound really creepy, but honestly, I was too shy and afraid to say anything to you for fear of rejection. I realize now that I should've talked to you instead, but it's too late, and I'm sorry, (y/n)," he explains, his brown eyes glazing over with emotion as he talks. Once he's finished, he clears his throat nervously and takes a sip of water, looking at you and gauging your reaction.

You feel like you've been hit in the stomach, and all the wind has been knocked out of you... but you don't feel scared, not like you expected to when he started explaining. Instead, you feel surprised and even a little flattered that he took an interest in you, of all the people he sees at the ice-cream shop.

"Wow, John... I honestly have no words," you say as you run a hand over your face and sigh. "But that's not a bad thing, I promise... my mind is just running a million miles right now and my mouth wouldn't have any hope of trying to keep up."

"You're not scared of me?" John blinks in surprise. "You do know I was an assassin, right? I've killed lots of people before."

"No, I'm not scared of you. In fact, I find it quite intriguing and I'd like to learn more about you, if you're okay with that," you say, taking a seat on the couch and gesturing for John to sit next to you, which he does. He nods and smiles at you, gently grabbing your hand and giving it a soft squeeze as he begins to talk.

A/N:

OMG, I'm so sorry it took a while to get this chapter published. It was meant to happen sooner, but life happened, and it got pushed back a bit.

I hope you enjoyed this! Let me know if you have a preference which POV I write from. (I wrote from a second-person POV because I thought it'd be the most appealing to read, but if you'd prefer a different POV, let me know).

Thank you so much for reading and I hope you have an amazing day/night!

- urlocalb00kworm