Cinderella

ONCE UPON A TIME a girl named Cinderella lived with her stepmother and two stepsisters. It was Cinderella who had to wake up each morning when it was still dark and cold to start the fire. Cinderella who cooked the meals. Cinderella who kept the fire going. The poor girl could not stay clean, from all the ashes and cinders by the fire.

"What a mess you are!" her two stepsisters laughed. That is why they called her "Cinderella."

One day, big news was announced in their village. It was time for the Prince to find a bride, and the King and Queen were going to have a ball! All of the young ladies of the land were invited to come. The stepsisters were wild with joy. They would wear their most beautiful gowns and fix their hair in the most splendid way. No doubt they would be the one to win the favour of the Prince!

Cinderella now had extra work to do. She had to sew two fabulous gowns for her step-sisters in the latest fashion.

No doubt they would be the one to win the favour of the Prince!

"Faster!" shouted one stepsister.

"You call that a dress?" screamed the other.

"Oh, dear!" said Cinderella. "When can I–"

The stepmother marched into the room. "When can you WHAT?"

"Well," said the girl, "when will I have time to make my own dress for the ball?"

"You?" barked the stepmother. "Who said YOU were going to the ball?"

"Did you hear that?" One stepsister rolled back with laughter. "Cinderella, going to the ball?"

"Looking like THAT?" Her stepsisters roared with laughter. "They'd never let that mess in the front door!"

Cinderella thought to herself, "I may look like a mess but I am not a mess, not really, And if I could, I WOULD go to the ball."

Soon the big day came. Puffed and pampered, the stepmother and stepsisters were ready to leave for the big night.

A fine carriage arrived to pick them up. The stepmother and stepsisters hopped inside.

"Good-bye!" called Cinderella. "Have a good time!" But the stepmother and stepsisters did not turn to respond. The carriage door shut and off they were, in a cloud of dust.

"Ah!" groaned Cinderella as the carriage clip-clopped down the cobblestone street. "If only there was a way for me to go to the ball, too!"

Then - Poof! All of a sudden, in front of her stood a fairy.

"You called?" said the Fairy.

"I did?" said Cinderella. "Who are you?"

"Your Fairy Godmother, of course! I know what you wish, and I have come to grant it."

"But..." said Cinderella, "my wish is impossible."

"Excuse me!" said the Fairy Godmother in a huff. "Did I not just show up out of thin air?"

"I suppose you did," said Cinderella.

"Did I not just show up out of thin air?"

"Then let me be the one to say what is possible or not!"

"Well, all right," said Cinderella. She looked down at her dirty clothes. "But look at me. I cannot go to the ball."

"You do look a bit of a mess, child," said the Fairy Godmother gently.

"Even if I had something nice to wear," said the girl, "I would have no way to get there."

"Dear me, all of that is possible," said the Fairy. She tapped her wand on Cinderella's head.