Colored Emotions - Night Moves

Sunday Afternoon

Skylar stared at the ceiling of his room, watching the fan turn on its low setting. With every rotation the blades made there was a gentle rattle. His hands rested on his chest as he picked under his fingernails, occasionally bringing them up to his mouth to chew on a rough edge of skin.

Two nights ago, Jazz had visited and left the Jone's apartment with the swiftness of a ghost. Skylar had been wondering if he had dreamed her coming back. Floating around Skylar's head with this thought were thousands of others, some directed as questions towards Jazz, some towards himself.

What have you been doing for a year? Was I being too harsh? Did you make new friends? How long can I stay angry at her? What does your day to day at this far away college look like? Did you miss me?

Skylar bit a little too hard into the now raw skin around his fingernail.

Did you miss me?

"Shit..."

He sighed and gave a gentle lick at the tender red spot before throwing his covers off and standing from his bed. The sun had been setting later as the start of summer reared its head, leaving the carpet in his room warm from the rays that came in through the window. It made his feet stick as he trudged across the room to sift through his dusty cassettes. Picking one out, he popped it into the light blue cassette-CD hybrid player Jazz had gifted him for his 14th birthday. Turning the volume dial louder than needed, a blaring saxophone riff filled the room and earned a startled clatter out in the kitchen. He frowned and began putting his gear on when he heard a bellow of laughter. Barely audible behind the music and the cackling, a feminine voice asked the rhetorical question, "Is he playing Careless Whisper?" Skylar's frown deepened when Casey shouted through his laughs. "Oh, the drama!"

Evening

After a hearty meal filled with teasing remarks from Casey and a few jabs of the elbow to Casey's ribs from April, Skylar made his way to the sewers for training. He hadn't been sleeping well the past few days, making his eyes dry and visibly darker underneath. He rubbed them as he entered the lair, spotting the orange-banded turtle settled into a beanbag chair in front of the television. The high-pitched sounds of the video game being played made Skylar's head ache.

"Hey! Was wondering when you'd get here," Mikey said as he glanced over at his friend. He did a double take and grimaced. "Geez dude, you look terrible." Skylar squinted at him. "Thanks," he replied as he kept the momentum of his stride and made his way towards the dojo.

"Oh, just a heads up, Our Lord and Savior says we're gonna patrol next Sunday, but we still get Monday off," Skylar groaned upon hearing this and continued on his way, worried his feet might refuse to start up again if he stopped.

Upon entering the dojo, the blue turtle first wiped his feet clean with a rag before walking on to the tatami mat. The turtle Mikey had referred to with such a righteous title was already there, meditating in a kneeling position beneath the giant bonsai tree. Skylar made his way over and kneeled.

"Good evening, Sensei," he said softly, rubbing his eye once more with his palm. Leonardo took a deep breath before opening his eyes to look at the younger terrapin before him.

"You look terrible," he immediately said. Skylar groaned in response and whimpered as he covered his face in his hands.

"Can you guys please give me a break?" Leo gave a slight smile and a huff through his nose.

"Sorry, but you make it too easy." Leo's small smile dropped. "How are you feeling?"

At this question Skylar let out a big huff and slumped his shoulders.