Chapter 3

{Fantine}

What could I do? Ten francs would save Cosette. My beautiful little girl.

The woman saw my moment of vulnerability and seized it. She started to walk. "Follow," she commanded. I nodded and followed her.

We arrived to this area that was partially covered. Candles lit the small area. I saw a glint of light flash across the surface of the knife and it became so real to me. She was going I cut off my hair. Who knows what she would be doing with it later I don't know.

She took the knife slashing, and cutting at my hair. I didn't feel pain only sadness. I could feel her pulling my hair up straight from the scalp and sawing at it. It wasn't completely painful, the pain I endured was bearable. I just hoped all the time that her small, skinny, fragile hands wouldn't let go of the blade. Wouldn't let the blade accidentally slip.

She finished and placed ten francs in my hand. "On with you then!"

I walked on. I realized I was as desperate as those women- the prostitutes. I couldn't dispute that.

The night was now. Every where I looked there was darkness. My lace quickened while I tried to exit the docks quickly. The men where just now reaching the area and the women were coming out. I didn't want to be mixed in the confusion.

Then it hit me. I realized where was I to go. Where could I go? No where to turn. I was by myself. I was only hoping Cosette was not as unfortunate as me. Of course she wasn't. She was in good hands with the innkeeper and his wife. I trust them.

I was all alone though. Nobody was going to help me. The people turn away. The people ignore me. Just because they ignore me though, doesn't mean I can't sense that I am the reason why they whisper, and the reason why they walk so far and fast. I know from these people no help would ever come to me. They would not help me.

Nobody was going to help me. I had ten francs now for this month, but what about for the next time? The time after that? Would I be able to save Cosette. I had to. Cosette had done nothing wrong, she was innocent. It was all his fault. Her father. There was no point in finding him if I could. No proof that Cosette was his child.

I walked back to Madame Rosalie's and retrieved my belongings from underneath the dumpster. There was a boy and a girl, asleep I thought, outside her house. I retrieved my items trying to not disturb their sleep, but the girl who looked like she was seven maybe nine at the most woke up. She looked at me and her eyes widened. She looked towards the boy who was still fast asleep. She turned back towards me and she relaxed this time for some reason. I smiled at her and she smiled back and then just sat propped up against the wall.

I left the children there. I know I should've tried to find them help, but I needed help myself. I walked down the streets till I came to a corner. I decided I might as well try to sleep now and find work tomorrow.

I laid my head down to sleep. Trying not to think of what happened today. Trying to think of Cosette. Cosette was what always gave me the will and the strength to go on.

{Gabrielle}

Enjolras looked at me smiling brightly. I returned it. He looked pleased at this. I guess he assumes it's a sign that he's forgiven. I do forgive him...for the most part. A part of me is still upset at him. He had no right to say those things. I would try and get over it though. I knew in my heart, what he said was true.

"Let's go!" he shouted cheerfully.

He got out of the corner and started running. I followed as quick as I could. We were running through the streets of Saint Michele. I could keep up with him easily. This surprised him.