Lost

Exer, now out of his sailor's uniform, is walking along the sidewalk near William's mansion, absorbed in a copy of Baedeker's London.

He stops, lost, trying to get his bearings, studying his map.

Then an unusual sound emerges through the normal cosmopolitan bustle. It is the sound of a guy humming. He looks up to see...

David Miller, a 17-year-old boy with golden hair, handsome, and hauntingly sad. He sits at his window above, behind bars, humming to himself as he does needlepoint.

Exer watches him, absolutely mesmerised.

David notices a bird seller passing. He carries a long, wooden pole with little bird cages attached.

David gazes at the bird seller for a while until he spots Exer on the sidewalk below.

There is a long look between them. His intense, melancholy expression moves Exer.

He continues to hum to himself as he glances down at the gorgeous boy below him.

Then, he turns away quickly, alarmed, when someone enters his room. He looks terrified.

Below, Exer is concerned for him. He sees the boy move from the window.

He is craning to see better when a beggar woman—a filthy tendril of a woman, her foul clothes of rags like a second skin—suddenly thrusts her arm up from the curb, imploring:

"Please spare some alms for a miserable old woman on a miserable, chilly morning!"