Misunderstanding

William seems like a different man now. Paternal and warm, he smiles and beckons to Exer.

Exer hesitates, unsure—William beckons again with that warm smile still plastered on his face.

"Come in, lad, come in!" William begs.

Exer goes into the mansion.

———————————————————————

William leads Exer into the dark library, filled with books. Exer is looking around for David. He is wary, this is all very strange.

............................................................................

"You were looking for Hyde Park, you say?" William interrogates.

"Yes, it's terribly large on the map, but I keep getting lost..." Exer replies.

"Sit down, lad, sit down." William says as he gestures towards the chair opposite him.

Exer sits down, uncomfortable, as William pours two snifters of brandy.

"It's embarrassing for a sailor to lose his bearings, but, well, there you are." Exer reveals.

Then...

The large form of a guy appears from the shadows. No introduction of him is made. Exer glances to him, uneasy.

"A sailor, eh?" William responds.

"Yes, sir. The 'Bountiful,' out of Plymouth."

"You must be practiced in the ways of the world—would you say you were practiced, boy?" William replies as he hands Exer a snifter of brandy.

"Sir?" Exer responds, confused.

William cocks an eyebrow at Exer in disgust and disapproval.

"I think there's been some mistake-" Exer says as realisation hits him.

Exer stands up in panic.

"Oh, I think not. You gandered at my ward, David... You gandered at him... Yes, sir, you gandered."

Kevin walks out of the shadows and stands behind Exer. Kevin grabs a lethal billy club and hides it behind his back.

"I meant no harm-" Exer says as he glances nervously at Kevin behind him.