Chapter 8

Raising my fist to knock on Spencer's door, I wasn't the same irritable but determined person I'd been just twenty minutes ago, eager to rush over and find answers about that stupid missing report.

Dante's reality check had done a serious number on me. I was angry and sad, confused beyond belief. Small things felt big and big things felt gigantic. Nothing was right anymore.

He's lying to you.

He's not trustworthy.

As the warnings rang through, my suspicions went to war with my feelings, and I was certain a blood bath was on the way. But I'd clean it up later. Right now, I just wanted to be at peace. With him.

When Spence opened the door, I found him looking equally afflicted, but one look at his surprise visitor, and his shoulders sank with relief. He let me in without a word.

The house was dark inside, and the familiar scent of him hit me like a freight train as I was pulled into a pair of strong arms.

"I was about to come over," he mumbled into my hair. "I've had the worst fucking day and only seeing you would make it better."

His warmth enveloped me, the reassurance of his words hitting me somewhere deep. In light of my woes, it was just what I needed, and I never wanted him to let me go.

"I've been wanting to see you all day," I told him the truth, leaving out all the bad stuff on the tip of my tongue because I didn't want to go there just yet.

Keeping his arms around me, Spence pressed his forehead to mine. "Now you're here."

"Now I'm here." I blinked up at him and smiled.

For the span of several heartbeats, we stayed just like that. There was no noise, just the sound of our breathing. No proper light, just the moon peeking in through open blinds. No more anxious thoughts, just the hopeful and heady anticipation of coming together in the way we'd always been so good at.

Spencer took a step forward and then another one, slowly walking me backwards until I hit the wall behind me. He brought one hand to my hair as the other wrapped gently around my neck, tilting my head back for a better angle on my mouth.

Then he kissed me.

Like that first breath you take after being underwater too long, the kiss was sensational and life giving. It was the sweetest inhale of freedom, cinnamon flavored and full of desire.

His tongue swept past mine and his hands wandered down, pulling me up in one swift movement, my legs wrapping around his waist.

The seconds passed like forever and nothing as he carried me to his room. I was only fully aware of him. How he smelled and the confidence in his stride, the care he held me with, in arms that felt safe and strong.

He set me down on the bed, and his fingers reached for the hem of my t-shirt, pulling it up and tossing it aside. He had everything else off in record time, and those wolf eyes roamed my naked body with appreciation as I laid on his bed, breathless and waiting for him.

My heartbeat went berserk when he started undoing his own pants. I even whimpered a little at the sound of his zipper going down, pressing my legs together as I grew needy for his attention. I couldn't fucking help it.

My composure was no match for his keen pursuit of me, the way his hands moved so eagerly yet precise and his eyes never left mine. Spence had one goal and it was me. There was something so erotic about that.

He was quick to grab a condom and then he climbed onto the bed, his body covering mine, all warm skin and glorious muscles. A breath hitched in my throat and he stole the rest of it with an all consuming kiss.