𝙴𝚌𝚑𝚘𝚎𝚜 𝚘𝚏 𝙳𝚊𝚠𝚗 𓇢𓆸
𝙾𝚛𝚕𝚊𝚗𝚍𝚘, 𝙵𝙻 - 𝟼:𝟻𝟶 𝚊.𝚖.

Scavenging for the supplies he needed for his journey, Jaden navigated through the empty streets, desensitized to the silence of this altered world. The dawn's light illuminated the wreckage and broken glass, guiding him through the dangers. He moved carefully, knowing that every step could mean the difference between life and death. While looking for supplies and tools, he remained alert and determined to obtain vital supplies and travel north, where rumors of a refuge lingered like faint echoes of hopefulness in the darkness. The refuge was known for its power and unity, making it a popular topic of discussion. Although there were other refuges, the north somehow drew Jaden in.

Echoing off the crumbling buildings, Jaden's footsteps served as a reminder of the laughter and gossip that once filled the air, now replaced by the unpleasant silence and the occasional distant screams or the shuffling of feet, whether human or unknown beings. Jaden's steps, soft and intentional, appeared to blend with this survival anthem, a pace mastered in the wake of disaster. His actions were calculated, weaving back and forth through the shadows and lights as he navigated the city's maze. Every sound and movement told stories of struggle and perseverance, reflecting the changes the world had undergone. It was at this moment his attention was drawn to an abandoned grocery shop. Desperate, he entered, hoping to find items he might need for his journey north.

In the grocery store's shadowy aisles, Jaden moved with caution. Dusty shelves, still well-stocked, caught the flashlight's beam, revealing both potential supplies and dangers. The abandoned shop had a very unpleasant odor, but he kept pressing on.

Suddenly, the silence was abruptly interrupted by the sound of a can falling to the ground. The noise echoed off the walls, causing Jaden to freeze in place, his heart pounding and pulse quickening. He tightened his grip on the flashlight, directing its beam towards the source of the noise. In the narrow space between the aisles, a single can wobbled to a stop, the sound of its fall gradually faded away into silence.

Holding his breath, Jaden paused as he peered into the darkness. "Get a grip, Jaden," he muttered under his breath, his voice barely a whisper against the silence. "It's just a fucking can. No need to jump out of your skin." The words were meant to steady his racing heart, a self-reminder that he was no longer the scared child from those first chaotic nights.

He remained still, listening intently for anything beyond the silence. But there was nothing—only the soft sound of his sharp breaths, the tension slowly draining from his shoulders. Each cautious step Jaden took amidst the ruins was a testament to a life once vibrant but now covered in uncertainty. With a cautious look at the motionless can, he continued on, his flashlight piercing through the darkness.

Continuing his search for supplies, Jaden's eyes caught a metallic shine where, in the world before, workers would have been moving about. He found a quickly crafted makeshift weapon. Nearby, a collection of canned food, their labels torn yet their seals intact, promising nourishment. Swiftly, he stuffed the cans in his backpack, a minor victory in his ongoing struggle to survive.

As the silence grew heavy, Jaden's mind wandered back to the time before chaos took over. He remembered the last peaceful night him and his family had. He and his sister playing outside just before dinner. It was a night of calm before the inevitable storm, with stars shining brightly, unaware of the impending darkness that was soon to come.

Johanna, his sister, called after him as she ran, her hair tied back in a loose ponytail that bobbed with each step, her eyes bright with laughter. "Jaden! Catch me if you can!" she taunted, running past him with their dog, Max, a flurry of paws and excited barks trailing behind her.