Chapter 16

The alarms suddenly blared out, signalling for everyone to get into their rooms. If anyone was still in the vicinity, they'd get shocked. The few that we'd been fighting began to get shocked and Toby finally ran out of Sol's room, skidding to a halt beside the mess that was his team. At first his face was happy and proud, knowing he'd done a good job but that quickly fell when he took in what was in front of him.

"What the fuck happened?" He breathed out, seeing Raj on the floor, dazed with a large cut on his head and me laying beside him.

"We need Dr Forrester, now!" Sol shouted. He knelt down beside me and put his hand on my cheek. "Lex, it's okay, just don't move." He whispered as Ty and Toby ran off to grab the doctor. I, as usual, didn't listen and began to shuffle myself closer to Raj. Once we were shoulder to shoulder, I let out a loud sigh.

"You didn't need to do that." Raj said to me, feeling his way across the floor until his hand found my arm. "You didn't need to take that hit for me." I let out a breathy laugh.

"That pipe was coming down at such force, you'd be in a lot worse of a position if I didn't." Raj squeezed my arm as a thank you. The three of us sat in silence for a moment, just trying to recover from what had just happened. Yet another coordinated attack. They set out to attack Raj, I could tell. He was the biggest one of the team, that's why they made sure eight people were in this one instead of the two they used for Toby. They even had weapons. How the hell did they get those? What punishment was going to happen to those four that brandished pipes to attack another prisoner? What took the Gov so long to help?

"Alright, I'm going to need backup." Dr Forrester's voice was heard from further down the hallway. He could see the floor littered with bodies and knew it was going to take a lot more than just him to be able to sort through it all.

"Just check them first. We can help." Toby ordered and three sets of footsteps made their way over to us. Surrounded once again, but this time by good people, we finally felt like things were about to get better.

"Alright, what do we have- Lex?" Dr Forrester interrupted himself as soon as he saw me and was beside me in a second. I could hear his breath quicken as knelt down by my head. "No, no, no... I told you to be careful. Why did you get involved? You're not healed enough for this."

"She helped me." Raj responded for me. "I got attacked by eight prisoners the moment I left Sol's room. She jumped in to save me. They had pipes, one of them was going to hit me but she jumped in the way." Raj tried to move but Dr Forrester ushered him back to the floor.

"You need stitches Raj. Try not to move around too much in case you make anything worse..." Dr Forrester quickly skidded over to Eddy, who had a gash on his leg. Dr Forrester took another look at me before he looked back to Raj and Eddy. "On second thoughts, Ty and Toby take Raj and Eddy to Room 2, I'll check on them as soon as I'm done here." Toby and Ty helped Raj off the floor and put an arm around each of their shoulders. Eddy got to his feet and the four of them walked off slowly down the corridor towards the hospital. With just the three of us in the corridor now, Sol felt he could speak a little more freely about what had happened.

"Aaron, this is getting out of hand. They must have been waiting for Raj. They attacked him as soon as he left my room. These eight prisoners were given a date and time to attack, I'm sure of it." Sol let out a hefty sigh. "We spent far too long trying to get Gov's attention. How the hell could you miss something like that happening?" Dr Forrester began feeling down my neck and spine to check for any damage. Luckily for me, I think I had escaped anything bad. I was able to move slightly and to wiggle my fingers and toes. I didn't want to interrupt the two of them talking, so I remained quiet as the examination happened, just running through the events in my head once again.

"I don't know. I'll speak to him about this. Lex already told me her worries, I fed them back to him..." He said as he finished checking me. He carefully rolled me onto my back, both their faces finally visible. I let out a smile without realising.

"That was done by Stephanie, before Gov shocked her." Sol was quick to point out the punch Stephanie had done before the whole incident with Raj had happened. "It's not been a great social." Dr Forrester pulled a face which showed that was the understatement of the day, but got to work checking me over again.

"How are the ribs?" He said as he gently pressed around them. I shook my head, they seemed fine. Dr Forrester quickly checked around him to make sure no one was listening. "Fuck, Lex you need to be more careful. That could have ended so much worse than it did. You've already been in the hospital for a long time, I don't want you having a permanent bed in there. Or worse, in the mortuary." I smiled to myself, I'd managed to get through to Aaron and he finally had a soft spot for me. At the beginning of the time in the hospital he was so professional and very careful with what he said. Now, he was swearing and calling me by my nickname, saying he didn't want anything to happen to me. The plan was working.

"I know Aaron, but these are my friends. I will do anything to help them. I'll fight until I can't fight anymore." I finally spoke. Sol smiled at me, appreciating the words I'd just spoken about his gang, however Aaron's face was the opposite, he looked frustrated and disappointed in my lack of understanding for my own safety. "Plus I'm sure you're happy to see a friendly face." I added with a smile, which made him chuckle.

"You're insane. You all are." He said quietly. After finishing his checks, he decided that it was safe for me to move so he and Sol helped me to my feet and slowly walked me over to the hospital where I made my way back into Room one, the place I'd been kept for too long already. With the whole gang in the hospital, some as patients and some as visitors, Dr Forrester made sure to lock the front door to ensure nothing else happened to us all whilst he was reviewing us. He started with Eddy and Raj in room two, so whilst he was working Sol and I caught up about what had happened in the fight and the events leading up to it. It was nice for us to have some time to talk to each other without interruption or fear of Stephanie showing her true colours again. For once, it felt relaxed and refreshed.
"I can't thank you enough for your help Lex. When we're all out of here, you'll have a permanent place in the gang."