Prologue

What matters is my father, he's my world and my life, my only purpose is to make him proud. Even if that means to ignore what I need...

I sat at my desk, staring down at the number of sales in the past few months. I tapped my fingers against the desk, trying to calm my nerves. How could I let this happen...? I let out a soft sigh, but nothing helped when you were to blame for such a big loss. Before I could imagine my father's disappointed face, there was a knock at my door. Not even looking up I softly said. "Come in." I heard heels clicking against the floor and realised it was Hazel, my best friend.
Hazel and I had met in first year of college, immediately getting along because of our common interests. We both loved photography, fashion and animals. Even after we finished studying, she got a job at my father's company, we were inseparable.
"El, what's with the long face?" Hazel questioned, walking over and slumping into the chair opposite me. I glanced at her, and slid over the papers I was once looking at. She scanned them, I could see the way her eyes widened slightly. But right after she returned back to her calm gaze, her hand reached over, grabbing mine. "It's okay. We will think of something." She said in a voice so promising I would believe her, if it weren't for the underlying guilt I felt. I cleared my throat and looked at her, "it's not okay, I messed up," I mumbled, but before I could continue the sentence my phone rang. The ID "Papa" displayed and I froze.

Hazel left my office as I pressed the phone to my ear, "hey, dad..." i whispered, as if expecting my father to reach through the phone and stare at me with disappointment. But he would never. "Eleanor, don't give me that tone. Sweetheart, it's not your fault-" before he could continue I interrupted. "Papa, why did you call? I don't want to talk about this over the phone." I said, bringing my thumb to my lip and biting down on it. "Come home, kiddo. There's a few things I want to talk to you about." He said in a less softer tone.